Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Today is (was?) Daniel's birthday. That's right. The big 2-uh... 6. (Just doesn't have the same ring, ya know? )

The morning began with my two boys and me in the family room, getting a card ready for the kids to color while I made breakfast. Neither Daniel or I have ever done "breakfast in bed" on any occasion, but I thought this would be the year to do such a thing. My inspiration was in part due to Jackson waking up at 6am and giving me plenty of time to prep. At any rate, I fried eggs and made coffee while Gabriel and Bronwyn (by then awake) colored pictures and decorated the birthday card.

The real celebration was reserved for the evening, and even that was low-key. Dinner didn't get a lot of before-hand planning, but I'm fortunate to have a husband who isn't a picky eater. (In fact, he might be almost as far away from being a picky eater as his brother--but not quite.) Some tilapia sauteed in butter with parsley and lemon pepper, along with Italian bread, salt potatoes, and a ceasar salad did the trick just fine. It wasn't his "traditional" homemade pizza that he grew up requesting, but he declared it wonderful and--I must confess--I much prefered it myself.

The family stopping in to share a homemade cafe latte cheesecake topped the day off. Once again, it wasn't Daniel's "traditional" cherry chip cake--the cake of choice for years and years--but since the boxed mix he loves so dearly is difficult to find, he picked the cheesecake. And he said he thinks he might prefer cheesecake anyway. I guess I probably don't have to indicate which I like better.

All in all, there wasn't a big bash. Instead of an iPod or a video camera, there were shirts and Steelers paraphanalia (oh, yes) and Reese's Peanut Butter Cups. We ate our dinner--just our little (growing) family--and Gabriel joined heartily in my boisterous rendition of "Happy Birthday." And I think in the simplicity of heartfelt wishes and prayers, hugs and laughter, Daniel knows how dearly he is loved and how much he means to us.

Yeah. He's the best.

(And he preaches pretty well, too. )

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great birthday to me. I would LOVE the cheese cake...awesome! Well we are off to Buffalo again so we will not see you all Sunday as normal! Too bad. I always miss our church when I go to Buffalo. See ya later!

    AnDi

    ReplyDelete
  2. well...you just can't have a birthday without some Reeses; ) it sounds like quite a fun day... miss you all!

    ReplyDelete