Saturday, June 3, 2006

One of the things I love about my worship-leader-sisters is the way they lead us in hymns. I like that they like the same hymns as me--the ones with intricate yet simple melodies and profound yet never-changing lyrics. And I really like that they know how to change a chord here, or a time-signature there, so that these hymns can be brought to life... once again.

I'm a "chorus girl," really. The old songs that are basic to my childhood will ever be dear; songs like I Love You, Lord and The Steadfast Love will never be forgotten or grow old. Some of my favorites are the many choruses written by Matt Redman; I listen to what he writes and I know that he loves Jesus and that he loves the Word. In addition, I'll take a smattering of this and a sprinkling of that, with a little of this and a little of that--and even a teeny bit of this, as well.

But there's something about those hymns, so moving, so inspiring, and so true.

I appreciate that my worship-leader-sisters are also bloggers, because it's good to begin some mornings reading what they write and being led in worship. Like today, when I read her stuff and found that I was singing and contemplating the following hymn the rest of the day.

Thanks, Wease.

My Jesus, I love Thee, I know Thou art mine;
For Thee all the follies of sin I resign.
My gracious Redeemer, my Savior art Thou;
If ever I loved Thee, my Jesus, ’tis now.


I love Thee because Thou has first loved me,
And purchased my pardon on Calvary’s tree.
I love Thee for wearing the thorns on Thy brow;
If ever I loved Thee, my Jesus, ’tis now.


I’ll love Thee in life, I will love Thee in death,
And praise Thee as long as Thou lendest me breath;
And say when the death dew lies cold on my brow,

If ever
I loved Thee, my Jesus, ’tis now.


In mansions of glory and endless delight,
I’ll ever adore Thee in heaven so bright;
I’ll sing with the glittering crown on my brow;
If ever I loved Thee, my Jesus, ’tis now.

6 comments:

  1. Hymns ARE wonderful. I also like that we sing them slowly enough to consider what words we're singing instead of rushing though the content.

    "I’ll love Thee in life, I will love Thee in death,
    And praise Thee as long as Thou lendest me breath;"
    --Those are two lines I hold dear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have heard of Indelible Grace, haven't you?  Old lyrics--new tunes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome...that's all i can say. And Matt Redman is great, i had the cd but its gone now!

    AnDi

    ReplyDelete
  4. All wonderful music...and I think having worship music other than hymns to listen to makes me appreciate the hymns more...I think Be Thou My Vision is my all time favorite song.  It sounds like you have some pretty big projects coming up on your house, too ;).  We (or maybe just I) did not anticipate the magnitude of the projects we had to do, and once one was started, there was just no going back...so moving forward was our only option. 

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bri, Check Paul B's site and the last photo of a tree. I think it is the one that was in your backyard in Pittsburgh -- the one I thought looked like an oak tree but someone else told you what it was (Marie or someone?) Let him know if you can help him...

    ReplyDelete