Wednesday, June 7, 2006

I keep thinking it's Thursday.

I want it to be Thursday--'cause then I'd be one day closer to the end of this week.

I sure am looking forward to a new week that isn't [already] imprinted with long nights, grouchy mornings, missed exercise, arguments between a frustrated husband & wife, countless discipline sessions, and selfishness and laziness. It's amazing what sin and sinful attitudes we've (I've) managed, seeing as how it's only Wednesday.

But isn't this my way? Instead of fixing what's broken, I want it new. I may have been around for enough years to know better, but I still think that next week... next month... next year... will be different; that somehow I will do better, stay stronger, think faster, work harder.

Could it be that I'll spend my whole life waiting for tomorrow at this rate?

This day--this Wednesday, June 7th, in the year 2006--is the day He has made. He knew I'd mess it up. He knew I'd want to get rid of it, scratch it from the memory books. But He made it anyway.

Because He also knew that my Savior--my good and gracious Jesus--could fix it. He knew that the dysfunctional attitudes and crumbling emotions could and should be transformed to be a testimony of His love and Fatherhood; and that the real work of Grace is truly understood through life and not just in spite of it.

So I offer up today. These next nine hours are Yours, Lord. Take this frail humanity and teach me what it is to let Your work shine through: through the ups and downs, and through the wins and losses. Thank You for today: for the way You mend what's broken, change what's wrong, and complete Your work.

And please, Lord, let it somehow be a light to others. Let me not be too proud to let them really see how great Your work is and can be.

This Wednesday.

4 comments:

  1. i really, REALLY wish it were thursday. if only it were - i would be one day closer to a weekend where i can sleep, watch FRIENDS, and enjoy not doing something for nine hours of my day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure wish we could have stayed a bit longer and helped with diaper changes and sweeping a front porch == and probably numerous other things. Someday soon I will be able to "hop" on down without a vehicle and time constraints that come with having the only family transportation!

    Love you --

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you're "getting this" now at your young age.  For some of us first generation believers, it's taken us years.  Confessing our faults to one another and praying for one another brings healing.  Thank-you for your honesty about life...we're all in it together.

    ReplyDelete