Monday, May 8, 2006

Wake up and run out the door to a WIC appointment, travel mug in hand. Return home to a stinky house (reason #304 to potty-train Bronwyn) to wolf down some food before the day officially begins for me. Nurse the baby. Cut the nursing-session short because Gabriel is repeatedly calling for my help from the bathroom. Find that Bronwyn has helped herself to my eye-liner while I was nursing the baby and is covered with brown pencil marks. Stick the baby in his carseat so I can help Gabriel and then bathe the older two (that's how covered Bronwyn was, and they needed it anyway). Dry and dress the older two while the baby cries and cries--he's still hungry, after all. Turn PBS on to entertain the older two (and try not to feel guilty about already resorting to such measures) while I finish nursing the baby. Burp the baby and lay him down for his [late] morning nap. Throw a load of laundry in the washer. Track down sippy cups with the intention of filling them so Gabriel will stop whining about not having a drink and snack to go with his TV-time. Get distracted by how dirty the refrigerator shelves are, and wipe down the refrigerator. Light some candles in the kitchen because there is a rotten smell coming from the food disposal in the sink and it's too cold to open windows. Realize Gabriel is still crying about a drink, and fill the sippy cups that are sitting on the kitchen counter. Get socks for the kids, because I forgot to get them when I grabbed their clothes during bathtime.

*sigh*

Sometimes I feel like I run around and around for no true gain.

OK--a lot of times I feel like I run around and around for no true gain.

I have been struggling with not feeling frustrated or aimless. There is often a big part of me that resents the fruitlessness I feel as I go about my days, and I can't help but ask, "Why, oh why, does this have to be part of the curse?!"

But He has redeemed me, and He has given me the power to redeem the time--to seize the opportune moments that I happen upon [and regularly miss] throughout each and every day. When I am being busy and feeling hopelessly distracted from the "important" things, I am either doing just that and needing to direct my days rather than having my days direct me, or I am failing to see the long-term fruit that my efforts will one day produce.

Some days feel less productive than others. Some days I wonder if other people ever have days that feel as pointless as mine. (I know they do... but I don't, if you know what I mean.) Some days I cling to believing that no one's life is as meaningless as my own--because that gives me a right to self-pity, of course. Some days really do stink and I have to get past that.

Regardless, He hasn't called me to measure my effectiveness by another's production/ fruitfulness or lack thereof. He has given me a certain number of talents... responsibilities... challenges... resources. The real question is whether or not I am using them, and whether or not I am redeeming the time--seizing the opportune moments--He has allotted me.

6 comments:

  1. I often feel the same way.  I would be quite pleased with myself if I took time to wipe off my refrigerator shelves :)...things like that don't happen too often around here.  Tim is always reminding me, though, that all of the seemingly "pointless" day-to-day chores have a huge impact on our kids (for their good) and are therefore much more important than some seemingly more "productive" endeavors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I totally know where you are coming from.  Thank you for the reminder that these tasks aren't totally fruitless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look at Sally Paladin....she took care of her home, and look at the results....and it's gone on generations and you guys are a part of that.  It's a women's lib lie that what you are doing isn't important, and only the youth group is what is producing fruit...your children are great and the worst thing you could do is put perfectionism on them...and compare them to others. Even in their physical size. It's your job to take care of your home and God's children in the way He tells you and your husband to take care of them. Not whatevere everyone else thinks and says.  So you have some germs in the fridge...unless you've been pushed by the Spirit(and not guilt) to clean that NOW, He'll protect you from it while you're doing other stuff that He thinks is more important right now.  Nursing the baby, helping with the potty, putting on socks are just as important.  Whether you get commendations for them or not, and it is your children that notice and love those things.  We had to be tough on Matthew a few days ago, and he's doing better, and he still loves me....he sat on my lap last night before bedtime, for almost 30 minutes.  Yeah, he's 16 so don't tell anyone....but I thought it was nice.  He's still my baby.  Probably because I had told him earlier in the day that I'd rather die than have anything bad happen to him, and that's true.  Maybe he hadn't realized how much I still love him.  We get so busy...you really should read "The Sacred Romance", I think you would like it.-----from a hopefully wiser older woman......love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just a bit of practical advice on the disposal: try taking a used lemon (or not used), cut it in fourths, and process it through the disposal. Hopefully, it will help dislodge any particles that may have stuck to the blades and help freshen it for you.

    As for the rest, you do have a good attitude about it. You recognize (even if you have to remind yourself) that you're not alone. You recognize what is truly important. You realize the times when you are tempted to self-pity and decide to not succumb. And you have faith to realize there is "long-term fruit that my efforts will one day produce."

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is crazy sounding. Now I am thinking, I can wait to have more kids at least for two years at least! lol. Very hectic looking. Oh and I have a new and interesting post on my xanga...so if you want to check it out. I was amazed at this video. So anyway. How are YOU doing? I hope you are doing well. I have to get going I need to do some major dish duty before Hayla wakes up! ttyl bye bye.

    AnDi

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes try the lemon... and I used to purposely (is that right?) keep the orange peels just to throw them down on a regular basis. My mom used to use apple cider vinegar? not sure but maybe worth a try.
    Whenever you have a baby & a toddler at home at the same time.... I think that if you can slightly console your toddler w/ the tv...GO FOR IT! It is not sounding like you are a "use-the-tv-as-a-pacifer-mom".
    I don't know if this was because it was morning...& it seemed hectic... but I used to fill a couple of tippy cups at night w/ juice so they were easily reached for in the morning. We also had a "snack" basket that was easily reached by the children... filled w/ stuff like raisin boxes, granola bars, snack size ziplocs with cheerios or whatever your children like... & sometimes I would have homemade muffins in baggies too. This made it to so much easier when I had a nursing baby or even a fussy, poopie baby. Great when dads want to know what they can hand out as a snack too.
    Perhaps you should look at the talents and resources that are in you.... & see how they can be applied to your life now. Use the time you have at home now... to fine tune those gifts... and see how they are multi-functioning. If you don't use those talents on the most precious gifts God has entrusted to you.... then who would use them with? You are doing great... keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete