Friday, May 26, 2006

Even John the Baptist wondered if his life investments had been poor. The man who had been confident of his purpose and that he was fulfilling Old Testament prophecy had questions and doubts.

Are You the One?

In other words: Have I wasted my time? Does my life--my drink offering--really matter? Did I totally foul up my entire existence?

Last night I was being plagued with worries. Wondering if putting all my eggs in one basket (namely: giving my best time and energy and output to my children) is going to matter in the end.

Is this really You, Lord?

I think I know a bit more why we as Americans "dabble" in so many things. We fear that at the end of our investment, we'll have nothing to show for it; and if we have the excuse of "divided attention," it won't seem as bad. If John the Baptist hadn't spent his entire life--maybe just part of it, instead--proclaiming the way of Jesus, perhaps he wouldn't have had such deep doubts and questions when there didn't seem to be a whole lot to show for it.

Should I look for something else, Lord?

Jesus answered and said to them, "Go and report to John what you hear and see: the blind receive sight and the lame walk, the lepers are cleansed and the deaf hear, the dead are raised up, and the poor have the Gospel preached to them. And blessed is he who does not take offense at Me. --Matthew 11:4-6

7 comments:

  1. thank you for posting that. i've been thinking and worrying about it a lot as well lately.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you ever listened to "The Godly Home Series" with Denny Keniston?  Sonny had me listen to the cassette that talks about foolishness and I cried afterward.  But really, it's a good series.  I think all our children are strong-willed because God needs this next generation in a mighty way far more intense than we expect.  I mean, "wars and rumors of wars" and all sorts of signs are already beginning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for the post. today i felt like giving up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bri, those are such good thoughts. Americans are desperate to see our kids involved in every possible thing under the sun, afraid to narrow down the choice in case they miss some experience or maybe never discover a talent along the way. Learning to focus is needed. I'm still trying to get that one down! Find the truly important thing (the thing He is saying to do) and stick with it. I am forever needing to hear that. Good thoughts...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, it is *soooo* worth it! Have you seen my men? They are serving the Lord, and nothing could make me happier! I am so very glad that I stayed home, so very glad that I homeschooled, and so very thankful that in spite of my faults and mistakes, I *know* the Lord will have His way in their lives. As long as they are serving the Lord, He will teach them His ways and lead them in His paths. I just pointed the way the best I knew how. They are good men; and for that I thank God daily.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OOhhh that is a good word... Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just heard a guy teaching on this today.  You need to stop doubting yourself, that's not from God.  He gave this verse about being confident, I thought was good.
    Hebrews 10:35  So do not throw away your confidence; it will be richly rewarded.
    If you know what you're doing is right, keep the faith, keep your confidence.  Don't doubt yourself when you know it's what God wants you to do.  Doubt is caused when you compare yourself to others instead of what God has said to you. 
    We love you!!!   

    ReplyDelete