Friday, May 12, 2006

It is a gray day, but perfect for lighting candles throughout the house and wrapping oneself in an old homemade blanket. Everyone is sleeping--including Daniel--and I am content, knowing that we are safe and secure and together. I don't take such things for granted quite as much these days.

Yesterday, I laid in the grass while Gabriel and Bronwyn played nearby. Overhead the beautiful purple buds of our surprise lilac tree (we hadn't realized what it was until its blooms gave it away) waved gently in the breeze against a backdrop of clear, clear blue. I love north country skies.

As a girl, I never thought I would be so imperfect a person. In my mind's eye, I was going to grow up and be wonderful at and through whatever He might set before me; I sincerely hoped His plans included being a mom. I imagined my children--children with big blue eyes and infectious grins and great personalities. In this, I have not been disappointed. But in myself, I encounter disappointment. Often.

My frailty is so clear to me. I come face to face with it constantly in my efforts and in my squanderings; in my children's faces when I hurt them; in my husband when I fail him; in my lack of devotion and in my wrong motivations; in my inconsistancies and in my instability.

I wanted to be perfect. To this day, I try relentlessly to be perfect.

This is not His way.

I saw myself never missing a beat. To this day, I try relentlessly to never miss a beat.

This is not His way.

I laid in the grass, and I took comfort. In my dreams, I needed to be amazing. That was the only way they would
succeed. But in His dreams, I needn't be.

He knew that I wouldn't be able to handle the children He gave me, so He joined me with a husband who makes our family work. He knew I would use harsh and angry words with my children, so He gave me the gift of repentance. He knew I would try to drown myself in the waters of self-pity, so He gave me His Truth. He knew... He knew.

His way is Jesus.

7 comments:

  1. You make me want to be a better mother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your posts almost always make me feel like I'm not the only mom in the world who messes up. Thanks for your willingness to share.

    Anytime you want to get together again, let me know. I'm sure Lael and Gabriel will love seeing each other again. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice post... I always enjoy them- even if I don't comment; ) And I really miss you, too!  I think about you guys a lot.  Are you coming down this summer?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes I know what you mean about Lilac trees and not knowing what they are until they bloom. I surely knew by the smell. There is no mistaking such a beautiful smell as that! I also know what you mean about wanting to be perfect. My husband and I had a bad evening with me saying I was a bad mother and a bad wife. I said these things because, though I have not been a truly bad mother I feel like I am sometimes. I wish I would give more time to my little girl...the computer always keeps me. Then I felt I was a bad wife because I was raised with a sort of OCD mother...I mean she isn't but she sure seems it. I never learned to cook anything but pasta, eggs, hotdogs, and easy things like that. He is the cook of the house and the poor guy has a long day with bratty kids and then doesn't even get a hot meal on the table when he get's home. If there were a class for newly married women and new moms who don't know how to cook...I would have to do it! We think my brother needs to start something like that. He is a head chef at a restaurant in Buffalo. Its an expensive one but you wouldn't think so walking into the place really. Ok well I am sorry for all the misspelling and bad grammar I don't feel like going and looking up all the words I am unsure of. I do do that you know. lol. Well ttyl.

    AnDi

    ReplyDelete
  5. I go through the same thing. I am so thankful for Jesus and His shed blood. (it;s also comforting knowing that others go through the same things. It makes self pitty harder to justify)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for you!!  We miss you guys, Joy loves looking at your pictures.  You've learned sooner than I did, perfect in the Bible means complete, and He knows what is complete for you in His eyes and His plans.  A while ago, in church one year after New Years, we were to ask God about "resolutions" and what He wanted us to do.  I didn't really want to know because I expected this huge laundry list of things to do and things I hadn't been doing well enough.  But I said, ok, I was willing to listen and do what He said.  I was surprised when He told me to calm down and love my husband.  It was that simple!  I was like, is that all?  But of course if that is taken care of the rest falls in place! 
    I will have to find the picture of Matthew putting on my panty hose....I knew I could use that someday!  Heh, heh.  Maybe I won't put it on the internet though, that would be mean....He used to put on my lipstick if I didn't hide it.  I have some silly ones of Joy handy I should put up too.  Did you see xanga has a photo blog section?  I don't know if that gets emailed to people though, I really like getting the pictures in my email.-----Greta       

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was a very encouraging post.  It is so easy for me to think that anything less than perfection is failure.  This was a good reminder that God has never expected the impossible from us and that He has given us a perfect subsitute to take the place of our imperfection.

    ReplyDelete