Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Jackson's visit to the doctor:

* Jack weighs 14.5 lbs, which puts him just under the 50th percentile. He has gained 3.5 lbs (almost) in 7 weeks; he's averaging .5 lb gain/week. An ideal baby! What more can any doc anywhere ask for?!?!

* Dr. McCloy wrote that Jack is 65" in my note to bring to the next WIC appointment. I think she meant 65 cm. Either that, or she thought they wanted my height.

* When I asked about why Jack's spitting-up has only gotten worse of late and if there was anything I should do, I was rather dreading the answer. I'm a little selfish--for those of you who didn't already know my kinship to the human race--and the idea of altering my diet isn't something that thrills me. Sure, I'll do it if need be, but it's not something I want to do. Fortunately for me, Dr. McCloy told me that she thinks he just tends to regurgitate more than some babies, and it's most likely that nothing I might do would really help. YES! [said like Kip in Napoleon Dynamite.]

* The appointment was on Monday afternoon. It ruined Jack's afternoon nap that day and we have been feeling the repurcussions of this into today. After not napping all day long yesterday, he finally fell asleep at 6:30pm. This meant that he woke up at 10:30pm and didn't go back to sleep until after midnight--for the first time in his entire existance. I think it may take a while for me to get over being annoyed that our family pracitce only does pediatric appointments in the afternoon.

* Never before have I been so thankful for the paper they lay over the exam table. The one Jack was using smelled like... well... urine. Yuck.

* All in all, Jack is healthy and growing. (Like we didn't all know that.) And from here on in I no longer feel guilty about reducing his visits to the minimum required by WIC. For a baby who isn't getting immunizations yet, he sure has seen the inside of our doctor's office a whole lot.

6 comments:

  1. boy oh boy. i hope he is doing better in the days to come. of course, if he spends many more nights like last night, he'll need some therapy when he's older.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay for the child whose first name is my last! :)

    ...by the way, you probably don't realize how much i enjoy seeing jackson's name. it makes me smile every time. glad to hear he's healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. no immunizations yet? wow! your choice? I never like visits where immunizations play a part. He's 14.5 lbs and only 4 mos, hey? wow!!! bigger than both my children, I do believe. Matthew is 11 mos and 15 lbs..prob only slightly more now. People think he's only about 6 or 7 mos, but drs aren't concerned. that's so funny that he's 14.5 lbs at only 4 mos. Jonathan was prob only around 10 lbs or so, I think. I'm just guessing...I'd have to check the records, but I'm pretty sure he wasn't close to that at 4 mos. I think your Jackson sure is cute though, I must say. Well, i suppose I've rambled enough now...back to AI.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Riley weighs 26 pounds- and he's 3!
    See that, Jack- you're catching up quicker than you thought!
    Sweet boy.
    P.S. Love reading your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know how much Grace weighs, but she's 8 months and still fits a size 3 months... not so much in length though.  She hasn't been to the doc since she was 2mos old, and I was tempted to bring her because of her petite-ness.  But then I just imagined what they'd tell me and figured I could just take their advice before they have to give it.  I started supplementing with formula and she grew a ton.  No immunes until she's 2yrs old.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I could never start the immunizations until 4 months with my last 3.  Dr. McCloy was great with working with me although she disagreed.  She was good about letting me skip some, too, like Hep B and chicken pox.  I guess doctors are very knowledgeable about the actual disease and take it very seriously....

    ReplyDelete