Thursday, May 18, 2006

Things I've learned today:

1. Mel-chlors potty-train much differently than san-phlegs.

2. I shouldn't expect my less-than-ambitious daughter to be more prococious than her "oldest child" brother.

3. It would be wise to leave potty-training for the day when Bronwyn can say more than variations of "Eesh."

4. Though a child might hate wearing a diaper, she just might have to a while longer.

5. The transition to a "big" bed should take place before potty-training.

6. There's always tomorrow!


The day Gabriel first wore training pants was also the last day he ever wore a diaper--of any sorts. (I never did the pull-ups thing.) He was 2 and a 1/2 years old, extremely verbal, and relentlessly attentive to details. All this combined to make potty-training a relative cinch.

OK. As much of a cinch as potty-training can be.

We gave it a go with Bronwyn today, though she is only 21 months old, says no more than a handful of words, and is generally very easy-going. She hates diapers and is often found trying to remove the one she's wearing. She also understands a great deal more than she can repeat. Add to that a large amount of curiousity surrounding Gabriel's bathroom habits, and I thought maybe we could make the potty thing work.

Well, we probably could.

But it would take a lot of work on my part and a lot more days of training than I have available to put in.

When Bronwyn, immediately following an accident at 5:15pm, ran to her potty and clapped her hands excitedly (as I had done when she had used the potty a grand total of one time earlier in the day), I decided she just isn't getting it. I had two options: push through and spend way too much time on potty-training, or call it a day and wait a few months.

Seeing as how I have a 3-year-old and a 4-month-old besides Bronwyn, an upcoming month full special events and out-of-town trips, major projects that will soon begin around our house, and a husband's summer given to people in Spain, what do you think I decided to do?

8 comments:

  1. you are ambitious!  have thought about getting a potty chair for kayla, but have yet to actually buy one.  so far, she doesn't seem to notice or care whether she's wearing a diaper or not... i'm new at this whole thing!  all the best to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How do you do the potty thing on the road? Sheesh seems hard. I mean you have to know that they are needing to go and then you have to have them go...in a PUBLIC restroom...I barely go in them! lol. Plus do you carry the smaller toilet seat with you everywhere? OH MAN...that seems like a lot. Sheesh I think you have managed to scare me a bit. See ya tonight! I think I know which you chose!

    AnDi

    ReplyDelete
  3. What memories this brings to mind. Believe it or not, your life is to be envied in many ways! These days will be fondly remembered at some point -- sooner than you could imagine!
    You are a great mom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm just listening and learning!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh -- and what ever came of the bird's on your deck? Are there babies yet? Or did the mom give up on them?

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are so right.  Seems the ones that are very observant to details catch on quicker and are very motivated.  Joel was tying his shoes when he turned 4. He potty trained practically overnight. Incredible fine motor skills in writing not just upper but lower case letters in his name.  Some of my more "relaxed" children couldn't have cared less! 

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brietta, Thank you so much for your post, it means the world to me.
    Potty training is so hard!!!!!!!!!!!!! Jess was trained for about 2 months, doing really well. never really had any accidents, until we moved. and right back going in her pants for about 3 months. she was so confused, and the Doctor told me that's normal. However I didn't want normal, I wanted a child to use the potty!!!!!
    Good Luck !!!!!!!!!!! and I only had Jess at home Jamie didnt come for another couple years.

    ReplyDelete