Thursday, January 29, 2009

Ready for mud and rain!


In my recent quest for rain boots for the kids, I found myself profoundly frustrated (for the hundredth time this winter) by the lack of shoes in small toddler sizes. It is so hard to buy shoes for my petite little Aubrey. Almost every time I'm in a store I find myself stamping my foot like a spoiled little toddler as I stand in front of the shoe racks: I don't want soft-soled crib shoes, I want real shoes! (And if they could not have Dora the Explorer on them-- or a whole fleet of pink felt flowers-- that would be great, too.)

Last Thanksgiving when we were in Pittsburgh I happened to find a pair of corduroy, rubber-soled sneakers in a toddler size 3 at a consignment shop. It was a genuine miracle and she has since worn those things to death. I seriously think they may have to be thrown away once she's through with them.

All that to say, while I found very reasonably priced ($10.50-$13.50 range) and rather cute boots for Gabriel, Bronwyn, and Jackson pretty easily (think green & blue polka dots, cherries, and anchors: cute, yes?), it was a totally different scenario for Aubrey. I looked at every single store (online and locally) I could think of. I was feeling desperate enough to purchase more utilitarian/less cute boots like these if they would just sell them in her size.

Sadly, I resigned myself to the fact that Aubrey wouldn't have boots this year. For a fleeting moment I thought, "It's okay: I'll just put her on my back in the Moby when we're outside on mucky days," but that lasted about 3 seconds before the mental image of her arching her back and screaming protests at the idea of not being allowed to run free with the other children took over. Did I really want to have to make staying attached to me while she watches her siblings play in the yard an issue ? (Uh, the answer is no.)

Happily, this story isn't over yet. (Bear with me; I never said I was good story teller!)

My friend knew about my quest (she, Queen of Shopping, was helping me) and in looking through her hand-me-down girls items found a pair of boots her daughter had worn a couple years ago. They were a size 3 and would be too small for Aubrey, but she looked the style up on ebay and, yes, there was another pair just like them: adorable, springy, and in a size 4! And, best of all, the auction was almost over and they were cheap.

Now, they're mine. I won the bid yesterday for $6.96.

Do you see these things? How cute are they???

Photobucket

And um, yeah, these are Gymboree boots, with the tags still on. I got them for a measly six dollars and ninety-six cents. If only the seller knew I would have paid more than twice that to get such adorable little boots (or any little boots, for cryin' out loud) for my peanut girl...

The minute I knew I'd won, I was immediately reminded of the last time I really, really wanted a little something for one of my kids to wear and how God provided, even though it was a far cry from a necessity. (Come to think of it, Stacie's been a common denominator, too!) It's little things like this that show me just how incredibly generous He is.

And now we're all ready for many fun mornings and afternoons of rain and puddles and moist garden earth. Yay!


10 comments:

  1. I know exactly how you feel! Finding winter boots for Annabelle was a nightmare. Thankfully, my mom found some in North Carolina of all places. Annabelle is JUST now into a size 3! Aubrey is beating her! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @HeatherDowling - Ha!  I didn't even try to find winter boots. Please don't remind me that I'm more than a LITTLE nervous about the 4s being too big (Aubrey 3s just started fitting properly about 1.5 months ago-- prior to that I was just "making" them work-- and trips continually whenever I try to make her wear 4s.) I keep telling myself that rain boots are supposed to be big... right???  She can always wear shoes inside them this spring and maybe they'll actually fit next fall, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love to shop on ebay for things that you just can't find up here in the middle of nowhere!!!!! I've found some really great deals and samely admit that I would've paid double the price to have just what I was looking for. Great shopping :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, that's embarrassing on more than one count, but I'm glad to have helped! :)  I just need to pray that Joe doesn't read this and decide to call me by my new royal title!  Hopefully the boots fit!  They were from a layette line, so they'd be a bit smaller than toddler size, though not much.  I'm looking forward to some cute gardening pictures this spring!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @High_Note - The boots for the older kids all arrived at about 5pm this evening.  They are loving them!  What's nice to see is that even though they're all big on them (especially Jackson's-- I really don't know what I was thinking ordering the 9T/10T for him!), they don't seem at all hindered by the generous sizing.  I think there's something about rain boots that are supposed to be big, you know?   Anyway, I really think Aubrey's boots will work fine; and now I'm very confident that the boots will all last through to next fall (at least!), which is nice.P.S.  If Joe gives you a hard time about your awesome shopping skills, just let him know that you are able to help many, many people find what they need and save money doing it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So where did you find mud boots for such a great price?!  I've been looking and haven't found anything below $15. 

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Jackie - I ordered the boys' from Old Navy last weekend when they were having a 30% of sale (I also got free S&H).  They were $13.65 and $11.55.  (Gabriel's were actually in the girls section, but they're a blue background with green polka dots that are absolutely adorable on him.)  You could always try the code for 30% off just to see if it might still work:  SPRINGI found Bronwyn's online at Target for $10.49; since I was ordering curtains and my own boots from there as well, my order was over $50 and I was able to get free S&H on that order, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a find & how cute! I have the hardest time shopping for my little ones, too. I hear you, on the Dora, thing. I cringe whenever I see Dora, well, anything! What happened to the days of simple and sweet? My girls seem to outgrow their shoes at the same time and Wes is so tall and lean but has huge feet! Lol. His shirts have to be too big, for the length, and his pants always need a belt of sorts. Poor guy!P.S. If you know of anywhere I can get cheap belts, for a little guy, please let me know. The only ones I've seen are the adjustable ones inside Old Navy pants and ones that come with pairs of pants. (Our budget in incredibly tight, right now, so purchasing a whole pair of pants, just for the belt, isn't an option.) I've only seen them separately for girls.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @christian_mommy_mary - I've only purchased belts for the boys once, but on that one occasion I got them at The Children's Place (online).  They were the braided kind, which isn't my favorite style but makes for lots of easy adjustments.  In fact, they adjust so much, they've been wearing them for about 2 years now-- and they still have growing room left.  I think they were around $7.50/each.  They've definitely lasted long enough to be worth that price!

    ReplyDelete