Thursday, January 8, 2009

It was good


Earlier this week, when I considered where to tackle my 2009 reading list, I felt like I ought to begin by re-reading The Hidden Art of Homemaking. This is a wonderful book that every homemaker ought to have on her shelf (in my opinion... but you don't have to take my word for it!), and as I've been feeling rather, um, unmotivated as a homemaker, I thought it would be a good place to start.

Already, I've had to take long, hard looks at myself.

I love how the author, Edith Schaeffer, begins by laying the foundational understanding that we have been created by a Creator, in the image of Himself, which means that we, too, have creative abilities and desires within us. I must confess, though, that as I read about the individual who daydreams of expressing herself in certain arenas but fails to share her creative talents where she is planted, I wondered if there was any hope for me. I mean, I've gotta be honest here: I don't daydream about creating or expressing anything; I dream about sleep, and I dream about not doing a single thing for a whole uninterrupted two hours.

But it's good to be challenged, to confess, to be re-inspired.

I need the reminder that He made me in His image, and He is a Creator. How that creative ability comes forth varies from person to person and from season to season in our lives, but I need to remember that I am not just making a table look nicer, I am walking in His design and I will find fulfillment in that. Putting forth the effort and the discipline to create isn't just something I do to serve my family or others around me, it is good for my soul. After all, isn't that what He said after He had created?

"And it was good."


6 comments:

  1. All this downtime has done a few things for me:
    1. made me realize that sleep is overrated.
    2. made me realize that I have not overrated sleep, even if others have.
    3. made me realize that i'm thankful that i'm not trying to parent while having mono.
    4. made me realize that when i'm feeling better, somehow i want to make sure that i can help you and liz specifically, get more rest. i don't know how that will look, especially since you both nurse, but somehow, somehow! i want to show God that i'm learning to appreciate sleep so much so that i want you to sleep too! oh, and i can't WAIT to give you the Creative Family. There aren't so many reminders about God in her book, but it's so crammed full of creative ideas (sometimes i wonder how she could NOT believe in God) that i know you'll be spurred on! just let me know when you're ready for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I will have to make this book a must read, as soon as I find a copy. I think "the individual who daydreams of expressing herself in certain arenas
    but fails to share her creative talents where she is planted" might be me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the book suggestions.
    How much ya wanna bet the Potsdam library doesn't have it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey:) Just wanted to say thanks for the before and after painted paneling pictures...wow that was a lot of Ps! I'm so excited about finally tackling the one thing that will transform this house. I'm sure you can relate considering your recent remodeling projects. All your hard work looks like it paid off!

    ReplyDelete
  5. RYC:  I love the beef sausage we have.  Love it.  Regretting that I didn't order 20 more pounds of it. It's not greasy and heavy like pork, but it has all the flavor of sausage.  It was fantastic in the lentil recipe but I also used it on pizza - yum.  Also  I plan on using it in chili and in meat sauce.  

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brietta,Thank you for your post. Recently, God has brought something very important to my attention. Caleb and I desire to buy a house in the near future (God willing). Lately I haven't been doing well with maintaining a clean and orderly household (apartment in my case). I was hit with Matthew 25. God has given me this place to live in and He has trusted me to keep it to the  very best of my ability. And when He sees that I can do well with an apartment (may equal to 3 talents) then He will entrust more to me (and that might be a house/more talents). He wants us to be profitable in everything that he trusts us with and I'm ready to start being more profitable in homemaking for sure! I'm going to see where I can get that book here!

    ReplyDelete