Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Looking ahead


I'm getting the itch for spring.

I've never really had what I would consider a real, live, big-time itch for spring before now.

I can't wait to start my vegetable garden, especially this year since I'm refraining this winter from buying shipped-thousands-of-miles produce and instead have been skipping right to the frozen fruit and veggies aisle. I know in my head that it's the smarter and, honestly, tastier choice, but-- oh my!-- do I want to bite into something fresh! Strawberry smoothies are no longer cutting it. And I would give my left arm for a fresh bowl of greens with oil and vinegar.

This year, I'm splurging on rain boots for everyone. (Well, everyone except Daniel. I have a laid-back husband who generally humors me, but he draws the line at things like wearing brightly-colored rubber boots.) I can't wait to get outdoors with the kids and soak up some spring sunshine. This year my entire brood is in the walking/running stage and they'll all be able to play independently. I've learned that I can't count on this sort of gardening freedom every year (um, last year comes to mind), and I have every intention of soaking it up.

In the meantime, I'm trying to simply be grateful that at least it's warm enough today to send the kids out in the snow to play.


3 comments:

  1. Although the rain boots were so much cuter, we always went the way of barn boots from the local Farm & Fleet. Even Norm would wear those.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know it's not good, but I don't begin to get Merrick outdoors everyday. His sisters might be willing to take a walk, but the roads aren't the greatest in the winter for a young guy. And he really does not play well out there alone. It's just no fun for him. So unless I put my foot down and insist that a sister join him, or unless I find time to join him myself, I don't end up sending him out alone very often.Hmmm. Need to come up with a plan. I suppose Mom needs some fresh air a little more often. Maybe next week I will see about adding that to my routine. This week I'm trying to get school back on track. I was in a bit of a slump, sad to say!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd been doing pretty well with not wishing for spring but you've turned my thoughts to my garden!  I'm looking forward to more canning and would like to get more things frozen this year.  That first year is a huge learning experience and I know now to have more money and time set aside to buy and prep fresh food.  We are so blessed to live in an area where there is such a huge variety of fresh produce availible each year even if we don't grow it ourselves. 

    ReplyDelete