Saturday, January 24, 2009

Creating


I don't know how many of you are subscribed to or stop by Mom And Us. If you are/do, you may have read my book review on The Hidden Art of Homemaking and already know that I was very challenged by my re-read of that book. As a result, I have been purposing this week to incorporate more creativity into our days here at home.

It doesn't come naturally to me. I am, after all, the sort who doesn't sew, doesn't paint, doesn't craft, doesn't draw, etc. But there are ways to be creative that go far beyond what I "classify" as such. For example, how do I set the table, arrange the cleaning products, store the children's art supplies, put the baby dolls away, orchestrate family time, spend an evening? These are all opportunities to express creativity right where I am. And, sure, even though I've given attention to these sorts of things, I haven't been good at making a concerted effort to do something (even if it's small) creative in every moment that lies before me.

My week is concluding, and it has been great. This whole Creative Outlook thing is sort of addicting! I find myself, as I scour the sink, wondering what I can do to leave it looking more cared for (not just cleaner) than I found it. And when it's time to put the kids to bed, I think to myself, "How can I make bedtime more special than usual?"

I have had some wonderful moments in the past several days: the kind I think I may never forget. And even though our floors may be a little stickier and the tables a little more dusty, there are more touches of love and family and thoughtfulness in our home and hearts than there were before, and that's what I think really counts.

Here are some glimpses of our week:


Photobucket
One of the kids' "Love" books: illustrations of some of the people they love and are thankful for.


Photobucket
Before Bed Train Time, orchestrated by this tired mama who was sorely tempted to just plop them in front of a Little Bear dvd. Instead, I helped them build this track and then lounged on the floor with them while they played their hearts out.


Photobucket
An awkward snapshot attempting to capture our-- complete with soft gingerbread cookies (Raleigh Tavern Bakery style) and milk in Bronwyn's tea set-- Tea Party.


Photobucket
Costumed by yours truly and then loaded up with a blanket, small pack of food, and water for a game of Make Believe.


10 comments:

  1. I got tears in my eyes, Bri. Memories like the ones my dear nephews and nieces made this week are the sort that I treasure from my own days of girlhood. And I am so blessed that you, dear sister, are blessing them with the same wonderful treasures. You are a good mama, in so many ways.Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are such a good mama. It is easy for me to wish I had the knowledge I have now when my kids were little, wishing to turn back the clock and do things differently. However, I can still learn and incorporate new things into my daily living no matter what my age. I guess I need to order that book since I haven't been able to find a copy in the library or amongst my few friends. Thanks for the glimpse into your week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful!  And what a lovely way to do more than just simply survive long winter days of indoor confinement. 

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am feeling a need for that kind of fresh inspiration! Maybe it's time for me to dust off that all-time favorite volume!Creativity comes in all kinds of packages -- Judy and I were just talking about the need for Christians to 1.) apply creativity to all kinds of situations and 2.) not be afraid to do things differently from the world and from one another! That book encourages that kind of thinking so wonderfully!And I'll definitely need to try out those Raleigh Tavern Baking Style cookies! Is the recipe online anywhere?

    ReplyDelete
  5. @darlenes - I'm not sure if it's online (I have the little Raleigh Tavern Bakery cookbook you got for me one Christmas), but I'm planning on posting the recipe-- with pictures!-- Tuesday on Mom and Us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it! I want it!  But I have one question (leave it to me to be cynical... sorry Brietta):
    Were their any squabbles or chaotic "AAAAACK!!!!'s" involved in any of this creative time?
    That's it, if I can just do homemade playdough ONCE this week, then I'll have been one step closer to having fun around here!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your loving pictures of your children and the blessings of there mama is truly an inspiration !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @BaCkWooDsThInkiNG - You're allowed to be the cynic; that's my role, usually, in real life. Of course there were squabbles. I've got 4 kids under 6.   But I'm learning to roll with them, and also to be really involved in the play, which helps.  I found that when I was "the queen" and the kids were the peasants, they hardly fought at all; they were too enamored by playing with Mama!   Or when I lit candles all around, creating a cozy and peaceful environment, and then sat on the floor with them so that I could help them work through the little conflicts that arose while playing with trains, the bickering was kept to a minimum because I was right there to remind them how to speak to one another, to help them sort out the conflict before it got out of hand, etc.Also, my creative experiment brought in an unexpected result:  my kids got better at playing and doing something creative together as the week progressed.  They're learning how to do this right along with me!   It's great!

    ReplyDelete