Thursday, September 20, 2007

One Week Old

It's hard to believe it's only been a week.

It's equally hard to believe it's been a week.

One week ago a doctor was standing by my bedside, tears in her eyes as she told me that my baby was very sick. One week ago a team of neonatal nurse practitioners were telling me that they would do everything they can, but their faces were grave. One week ago I was too overwhelmed to pray for anything beyond wanting to hear my baby's cry.

God is so good to us.

 

Aubrey's heart rate continues to remain stable and all her blood gas levels (oxygen and the like) are very good. Her respiratory rate has been very, very high all day long (at least 100 breaths per minute), even after a diuretic was administered in the hopes of flushing her body of any fluid that could be causing the rapid breathing. I have not been able to try nursing her at all today because of this.

The cardiologists' hope is to get Aubrey eating and sent home on medication so that she can grow more before surgery on her heart takes place. Her high respiratory rate means she shouldn't be nursing, and so we are in a bit of a holding pattern. Today the cardiologist who came by did say that surgery may have to come sooner rather than later if the respiratory issues do not resolve.

And so we are praying. And believing. For her breathing to be calm. For the hole in her heart to be healed. For confused veins to be corrected. For a miracle.

 

A week ago every professional who was looking at the ultrasound pictures of Aubrey was saying she was very, very sick. Nobody could say exactly what her condition would be when she was delivered, but there weren't high hopes. And yet God intervened and there was a cry within seconds of her arrival. There were high Apgar scores. There was much less fluid around her brain and liver and heart than had been seen only hours before.

This week has been a week of watching miracles.

I eagerly await what God will yet do.

 

10 comments:

  1. I've been lurking around here a lot lately waiting for any tidbits of info.  Also, I can't stop looking at those baby Aubrey pictures.  My son saw them and said, "Baby Josiah" and I said "No, honey this is Baby Aubrey and her Mama and Dada, she is sick right now but God is going to heal her."  He struggled to say Baby Aubrey and repeated everything I said and I was glad to share with him about your little miracle.  Still praying here and your report today was amazing.  I didn't realize that the doctors were so grave about the situation.  But, you're right--God is doing miracles in you midst and as believers we can expect even greater and more wonderful things.  Keep strong!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are amazingly upbeat! Keep up the great work-- I'm sure you must be weary, but I know you will make it through.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years is like a day. How true that is! Aubrey is a huge miracle packaged into a small, beautiful gift. She has touched so many hearts, as has your faith.

    You are all continually in my heart, my thoughts and my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're faith and strength is so admiring and I firmly believe you will be rewarded. We miss you guys and can't wait to see Aubrey at home. We're always thinking and praying for you... be blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aubrey on my heart. Sweet, precious gift!
    How is your recovery coming along, my dear?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Psalms 71: 6 & 7
    6 From birth I have relied on you;
           you brought me forth from my mother's womb.
           I will ever praise you.
     7 I have become a wonder to many,
            you are my strong refuge.
    That will be one that your little girl will appreciate one day :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are one loving mama-full of so much love for that precious baby and the Promise of God-that picture is so precious-it speaks volumes-a picture is worth a thousand words as they say. There is so much going on between the 2 of you in that moment. All of those pics are beautiful! Thank you! Praying so much for your precious noble leader of victory! Also, for you. A HUGE hug goes out to you from me. wow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We eagerly await to see what God will do as well.  We rejoice in this post, as we see the many ways God has already touched Aubrey; confounded the doctors and nurses alike; and await to see what future miracles He will do.  We stand believing with you today!

    ReplyDelete