Monday, September 24, 2007

Blessings

The nurses are constantly commenting on how pleasant Aubrey is. She rarely cries except when being poked or prodded, and even then she is very tolerant. I am so glad that she is such a welcomed patient by these nurses and that I don't have to worry about her crying a lot when I'm not around to help comfort her.

This morning when Daniel made the phone call to check in on Aubrey after the night, we got a wonderful report! Aubrey's respiratory rate was as low as 68 breaths a minute at one point and so she was able to get her 3cc (less than a teaspoon) of breastmilk in a bottle instead of by gavage feeding. In addition, I was able to try nursing her twice yesterday because her respiratory rate was right around 80 breaths a minute (the maximum the neonatologists want to see). This is all just a few short days after her respiratory rate was climbing as high as 120 breaths a minute.

Aubrey now weighs 7lbs8oz and is looking wonderful. Her cheeks are as chubby as ever and her mouth as unbelievably cute as ever.

Daniel and I are learning what a rollercoaster ride the NICU can easily become and how much one comment by a nurse or a physician can either send us into a tailspin or bring great rejoicing. Every morning on our way in, we remind ourselves that the Lord knows what we need before we even ask: He knows the report we will get, the plans that will be made and the choices that we will be confronted with, and His grace is ready and waiting for us.

Yesterday we had some visitors from this area and today we are anticipating some time with a lady who is full of faith for healing. We have been so blessed to be continually surrounded by believers who are praying for God's best for Aubrey.

Daniel and I are so enjoying the hours of cuddling and being with our baby. Every time I start to feel overwhelmed by the hurdles ahead of us, the Lord reminds me of how far we've come. Aubrey is such a blessing.


“Here is a little mouth to kiss; here are two more feet to make music
with their pattering about my nursery. Here is a soul to train for God,
and the body in which it dwells is worth all it will cost, since it is
abode of a kingly tenant. I may see less of friends, but I have gained
one dearer than them all. Yes, my precious baby, you are welcome to
your mothers heart, welcome to her time, her strength, her health, to
her most tender cares, to her life-long prayers! Oh how rich I am, how
truly, how wondrously blest!”

~ Elizabeth Prentiss’ Stepping Heavenward


10 comments:

  1. Praise God!!!  You're right, she is a blessing!  Children are such wonderful gifts.  Still praying for more good reports!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're so excited to hear the awesome report you shared! Still praying for you all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are continuing to pray for a steady, regular respiratory rate!  We are also praying for the Dr.'s conference tomorrow.  Let us know what the updates are!  Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't comment much but I read it all. Love ya.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Praising the Father with you for the better breathing rate. Love from NC, Q

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you God for lowered breathing rates. continuing in prayer and love from afar. wish i could just hug you, but i know the Father is wrapping His loving and protective arms around you and that precious daughter. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. "She rarely cries except when being poked or prodded, and even then she is very tolerant".
    Brietta, I noticed this immediately the night she was born. How wonderful...

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh my gosh! I won! I haven't been on in awhile and I saw I won! Yay!

    : )

    ReplyDelete