Thursday, November 16, 2006

Transitions

My 24 short years alive by no means make me an expert on transitions. And 1 marriage, 2 significant moves and 3 kids later, I'm beginning to understand that I will never be able to predict the challenges and joys that accompany any and every transition.

Motherhood is certainly a major transition. I remember one night when Gabriel was about 5 or 6 months old and I was growing very weary of not sleeping, I really had to come to terms with the fact that I couldn't just bow out of this particular ministry, even for a short time. My Ministry Head wouldn't accept my, "I'm sorry; I'm just really burned out right now and feel I need a break." Nope, I was in this for the long-haul, for better or for worse and regardless of its implications on my life. My needs vs. another's needs took on a whole new meaning. (I might refer to motherhood as "forced sanctification.")

Perhaps it was my delight in being a mom, though, that made the 0-1 children transition an over-arching incredibly delightfulful time. I like to think so, anyway--especially since the bliss of motherhood is my only excuse for not even bothering to lose the last 10 baby pounds before getting pregnant again.

Many moms and dads have told me that 3 children is the most difficult transition. A few, like me (for now), say that 2 is very hard. My mom will console moms of 4 with her own experience of 4 children being the most challenging season as a mother. Pretty much everyone with 5+ children tells me it only gets easier as you grow wiser. My personal research in gathering these opinions tells me that the age of the oldest child often indicates the nature of the transition the most. For example, if your oldest is 7+ when the 4th child is born, chances are #2 or #3 child will hold the record for Most Challenging Transition, regardless of how many more kids you add. (My siblings and I--the first 4 of 9--were 4 children ages 5 and under, which explains a lot of my growing esteem for my mom.)

In other words: you want your kids feeding and dressing themselves as soon as possible, as this will make your life indescribably simpler.

When Bronwyn joined our family, I was breathless with joy. Two kids made us feel so much like a family, and to have a daughter of my very own? Well, words just don't do justice to the feelings I felt. To add to the joy, there wasn't an ounce of sibling jealousy on Gabriel's part. Sure, my boy had a hard time adjusting to the fact that I was no longer his sole possession nor my time his alone to spend, but that realization was bound to come at some point, with or without the birth of a sweet little girl.

I figured, I did this once, I can do it again. And I did: I got through those first 6 months with two children.

But it wasn't easy and it wasn't pretty.

There were lots of challenges and they were all found in the little things; the unexpected things. Like how to take a shower. When Gabriel was a baby, he sat in his bouncy chair (sometimes crying) while I showered. When he got old enough, I would bring some toys into the bathroom and he would play during those ever-shortened showers, which provided good incentive to keep the bathroom clean. But suddenly there were two little people to occupy for 5 whole minutes, and the one who would naturally fit in the bouncy seat category might get hurt by her overly-attentive older brother if I left her unattended with him. Who knew trying to take a shower could be so incredibly stressful???

Sure, I'll agree with most that 3 kids is more work than 2. (That doesn't take rocket science to figure.) And I will be the first to tell you that I cried a lot when I first knew I was pregnant with Jack. (They weren't all happy tears.) I was fearful and unsure about adding another child to our home. Imagine my shock to have found the last 10 months easier in may ways than the prior 10!

For now, it's been in the little things that life with 3 (the first 2 getting older being a key in this equation) has been simpler. I was ready for the big stuff to be hard, so when the big stuff has been hard, I've been ready. But after those first months with Bronwyn, I was ready for the little things to really be a challenge, too... and they haven't been.

For example: Yesterday as I was putting Jackson down for bed, which he was putting up a significant fight about, it dawned on me that I wasn't even worried about my 2 kids downstairs putting puzzles together. I had a flashback to similar moments when Bronwyn was a baby. I had a noisy almost-2-year-old by my side since I couldn't trust him to stay out of the toilet, etc., and it made lulling the infant in her crib to sleep an arduous task. Let me tell you, sibling accountability can be a very beneficial thing. Maybe it's just my own kids that have a tendancy toward "tattling." For sure and for certain, if one does something wrong, I will hear a loud and offended cry from the other--even if the offense was far from personal. This can be extremely helpful when I am in the other room or, say, showering.

All I know is that I ought to stop trying to predict. I end up borrowing trouble over some things and then getting blindsided by others.

This, my friends, is my conclusion on transitions.

(To satisfy my curiousity, let's take a poll: Is 0-1, 2-3, or 3-4 the most challenging transition as a mom, in your humble opinion?!)

15 comments:

  1. I think the answer to this question depends a lot on the personalities of the children involved. For me, having only 2 so far, the more difficult transition was from 0-1. I was not prepared for the demands on my time (particularly in the overnight hours) and since Caedmon never once slept throught the night until he was 8 months old, it was an even bigger challenge for me. Bethany, on the other hand, slept through the night at 3 months and (at first, at least) was generally much more mellow...she was happy to spend an hour in her swing watching the world around her, Caedmon never lasted more than 10 minutes. Also, Caedmon is a little less prone, as a 2 1/2 yr old, to get into things he's not supposed to, so it is fine to leave him alone in a room for a few minutes if I need to. So, that's my long-winded answer to your poll :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post!  Let's see, 1-2 was no big deal, but 2-3 made up for it.  I don't know if 2-3 was so hard because of the children, or because my husband's job was changed shortly thereafter and he was gone 16hrs a day.  2-3 isn't so hard now, and I'll let you know about 3-4 in a few months.  I'm already outnumbered, so what difference does it make?  Let's see... I'll have a just-turned-four-year-old, 2yo, 1yo, and newborn.  I'm more concerned about the seating plan for four carseats in our van than I am about life with four little ones!  HAHA!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So far, I'm pretty much agreeing with you.  0-1 was the biggest transition for me, but as you said, so full of bliss, that it wasn't very painful.  As with you, my number 2 was much "easier" personality-wise than the first and so far my 3rd seems even easier.
    The technical stuff is harder (babysitting, shopping, affording their clothes...), but somehow it seems more reasonable that three little people eat up every minute of my time than when only one did that.  Three seems harder in the sense that I can't just pack up and run or have an easy overnight at my parents'.
    Perhaps three seems not so bad because I'm a little less uptight and fearful in general?
    One thing I know for sure, knowing that my family would be there, being back with Lori at the midwife center, and most of all, having such a close and caring inner circle, and extended circle of overwhelmingly reassuring and helpful friends has eased this transition in ways I can't explain.
    As I learned when we had Joel and Gabriel "together", having someone to relate to can make such a difference in my ability to cope.
    I am continually surprised by just how hard this whole parenting thing is and I've definitely been caught off guard by the emotional aspects, but of course, the rewarding and fulfilling end is just as surprising.  Who knew? =) 

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, my hardest has definitely been 1 - 2 but, wait a minute, I only have 2!!!  Still, hats off to you if you cen take 5 minute showers... that task I have yet to master, not to mention so many others!

    ReplyDelete
  5. well, since we only have 1 right now, i'd have to vote for 0-1!  lol!  actually, with all the complications of preemie birth and nicu stay and being attached to a monitor the first few months and having a baby that cried and didn't sleep for seemingly the first 6 months -- i'd have to say, parenting was a huge RUDE awakening for us.  i only hope and pray that God blesses us with a much more mellow #2 and beyond! 

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a great post! I just turned 25 last week, and was thinking the other day that when I graduated from high school, I could NEVER have imagined having 3 kids at 25... I have a 3 1/2 yr. old son, daughter 18 mos. and am due w/ #3 (boy, no name ) in 3 weeks. I am thinking that 2-3 will be easier than 1-2, for exactly the reasons you mentioned. I can leave my 2 "alone" for a few minutes at least, which I could never do with the 1-2 transition. I now take "long" showers when the kids go to bed at night, and it is SO nice, though I know it will be a shortlived privilege! Take care!! Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post!
    I think for me the transition from 2-3 will be more difficult than from 1-2. As you said, personality plays a big part. Lael was such an independant kid, it was no big deal to add another. She was an instant big sister, a great little "baby sitter" and never had a sibling rivalry. I could leave Lael with a video and a happy Alyssa in the bouncer or swing while I showered, no problem. She would run upstairs to tell me if anything was wrong. But going from 2-3 will be harder, I think, because Alyssa is so much more clingy than Lael ever was. But I also try to not borrow trouble and think about the practical things. Knowing that Lael will be almost 6 when the baby is born is a huge relief to me. The only thing I think about is car seats in the van. Where do you put your three? I'm thinking the two big girls in the back row, with the baby in the middle. I can't believe I stress about such silly things!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll have to say that 0-1 was the hardest transition for us!!  (We only have 1 for those who doesn't know me)  Ally has just begun her "I'm 8 months and want to get up 2 times a night again" deal that Jackson went through.  The bad: getting used to a full nights sleep and now being ever-tired like when she was first born.  Only she doesn't nap as much in the day for me to nap with her!  The good:  Since we are getting 2 extra feedings in a night, she should make a huge jump on the percentage chart! 
    Help!!  What did you do to get Jack to sleep? 

    ReplyDelete
  9. The biggest transition is undoubtedly going from 0 to 1. Everything -- everything -- changes overnight. But it isn't necessarily the most challenging transition.

    As you mentioned, for me it was number 4 that left me undone. Up until then my energy allowed me to run around behind the crew and keep up with it all. When number 4 came home, the oldest had just turned 5, Bri was 3 1/2, and Carina was 21 months. I was unable to do it all. It was actually good -- they needed to be trained and I now had no choice! Then number 5 came along. I was told that five was a magic number -- I don't know if it was merely the birth order or the fact that it was sweet Louissa who arrived (and we all know she was easy as pie,) but life with newborns was easier from then on.

    But mind you -- every time is a bit of a challenge, even if it is a bit easier as well. S-t-e-t-c-h- we go!

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh I should have mentioned that. :) sorry. my brother is a student at Clarkson and I found you through one of his friends' xanga sites. have a great night!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. for me, the 2-3 transition was really tough as a mother. going from ... two ... to that ... three ... was just ... wow.

    --the older i get, the more impressed i've become at how young parents actually are. overall, i have to say i've always read your blog with the wide-eyed admiration of someone who's just impressed that you're still pretty much sane (at least enough to be literate). which is to say, i don't really have any place to comment, except to say: "kudos to you, Brietta. way to mother those kids!"

    kudos to you, Brietta. way to mother those kids!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hahaha!  This is a great post.  For me, the transition from 0-1 was the most difficult.  When Aidan came along just 14 months after Jocelyn it was by no means easy, but they were both babies at the same time.  Aidan was and still is such a good natured little guy.  Getting him to put himself to sleep was never a problem.  Sometimes I wonder if it's because I never gave him ANY other option (too busy!) or if it's just him. 
    Showering is still something that I'm working on figuring out... I've been waiting until Aidan lays down for a nap and takin Jocelyn in with me (she can't bear to be alone!)  Yesterday they were both in the bathroom.  By the time that I came out they had unpacked EVERYTHING under the sink! 
    #1 was the biggest shock to me for sure.  I wasn't prepared for the forced sanctification! 
    After the Lord ads a #3 to our family I guess I'll know about that one!

    ReplyDelete


  13. I love that, it's so true. You could say parenthood is too. Doug and I both changed almost overnight. Well, what I think I mean to say is that WHEN we did change, it was like day is to night...Our biggest change was when Alan was 2, Doug lost his job and we got involved in politics. (Which really drove us to seek God in our lives!!!)

    I would say going from 0-1 was probably my biggest deal, being an only child myself and no mom to talk to about my first baby since she had died 2 years before. I had only held a baby once before I had my own. It was like, we're home, now what do I do? 2 other ladies had babies almost the same time from where I had previously worked and we got together a couple times, but we really weren't friends, just aquaintances so it wasn't like I got much from that...I had 0 friends and my mother-in-law didn't identify with me at all and wasn't much help....(mentally that is, but they did buy us lots of things for Matthew, probably too much.)

    3 has been really easy, but probably because the other 2 are such big helpers. I could probably do 4.....but I don't know if that will happen....I'm happy either way.

    With my first, we took baths together for quite a while...then Matthew and Alan had their bathtime together...I don't even remember showering then! I guess it got done....I do feel my boys get neglected some now...and a lot gets put on them. I still need to work on my schedule. I think if they were all little and I didn't have homeschool I might do better in some ways.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The first sentence I was supposed to have on the last post was a copy of your---"motherhood--forced sanctification". Hopefully it makes more sense now.

    ReplyDelete
  15. My most difficult transition was when my 2nd came. He wasn't the problem (he was the quietest and easiest).  It was me being forced out of my perfectionism. Each baby after #2 never was a problem.

    ReplyDelete