Friday, November 17, 2006

Honey, he's so tired, I pleaded on my erring 3-year-old's behalf as soon as he was out of earshot. I didn't have to say more, Daniel knew what I wanted: go easy on him... don't ask obedience and self-control right now...

Sometimes these petitions secure mercy for my children. (Usually I know it is better to not make them and, instead, just bite my lip.) Last night, Daniel looked at me and very quietly said, We cannot give him a keepable standard, Brietta.

I knew what he meant. We must require God's standard of our children. And not so we can say, Our children are holier than yours. (Truth be told, they are sinners.) No, in tears and in sorrow of heart many times, we require something our children cannot meet in their own abilities so that they are forced to the altar of Christ.

Rather than saying it another way, I will quote directly from Shepherding A Child's Heart, as this book has helped strengthen my mother's heart for the difficult task of requiring righteousness from my flock.

Parents sometimes give children a keepable standard. Parents think that if their children aren't Christians, they can't obey God from the heart anyway. For example... To do good to oppressors... to pray for those who mistreat you, to entrust yourself to the just Judge, requires a child to come face-to-face with the poverty of his own spirit and his need of the transforming power of the gospel.

The law of God is not easy for natural man. Its standard is high and cannot be achieved apart from God's supernatural grace. God's law teaches us our need for grace. When you fail to hold out God's standard, you rob your children of the mercy of the gospel.

There is a time and a place to extend mercy and grace. Even Abraham petitioned God for others. We also have to take into account the fact that my son is only 3 years old and my daughter only 2. There must be much room for childish behavior and endless time given to instruction. But in our child-rearing, I do not want to just make them socially acceptable. I want them to see their brokenness apart from a Savior. And this requires confronting them with their sin.

This is not easy to do. But I remind myself that whether or not I allow the Word to expose my children's spiritual poverty, their poverty is real and present. I can either cover it while they are young and teach them how to cover it themselves when they are older, or I can let the law of God lead them to the gift of Grace.

So I am renewed in my call as a steward of their hearts. I commit again to confront the lying--to address the heart issues of selfishness, covetousness, rebellion, and pride. With my words I speak of His salvation and with my prayers I entreat Him to work in their hearts. I choose to hold up His standard so that they can receive His mercy.

For this reason I say to you, her sins, which are many, have been forgiven, for she loved much; but he who is forgiven little, loves little.

6 comments:

  1. I often find myself saying the same thing to Tim, "She's so tired....". Discipline is by far the hardest thing for me to stay consistent with. There are times when I feel she is too tired so I let it go or I'm busy with Maygen so I let it go or I'm just plain tired and of course...I let it go...Mothering!?!?!?!?
    Maygen is doing better. I'll explain the whole thing next week when we can actually talk in person! Miss you:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The crying, whining, and dropping to the floor over every little thing continued, hour after hour.  Well, he is getting two new teeth right now.  Even while the words of petition flowed over my tongue and lips I knew it was just an excuse on behalf of my 2yo son.  Daddy and Seth moved to my right and I walked away, knowing that what Daddy was about to do was the right thing, even though my "mother's heart" was weak.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good stuff Breeze. I sort of wish I was a parent so I could be learning all this stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good reminder!
    I just heard last night about Gabe and Renee having their son.  I was wondering if you know whether anyone is coordinating meals or doing anything else for them?  I know that they probably don't know too many people in the church yet.  Anyway, just let me know if you know anything or are organizing anything with the college students.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So true!!!!!!!!!!! Keep it up . . . parenting is such a challenge! - Justadaisy - aimee.astitch.biz

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a challenging post. Tim and I are reading Shepherding a Child's Heart, as well, and I feel convicted with just about every sentence. It is so hard (for me, anyway) to know how much a small child is going to understand...will they recognize their sin for what it is, or will they think the behavior is the entire problem? For now, we try to explain God's standard and hope something registers beyond the discipline. It is the hardest task I've had as a mother so far. It's good to remember the point of it all.

    ReplyDelete