Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Perhaps it's because I've made the drive countless times that there is little joy in the "conquering" by now, but my approach to this year's travel to Pittsburgh and back seriously lacked ambition. (Typically, I am rather aggressive about reaching my destination and don't appreciate stops for anything other than gasoline.) This, in my opinion, was good for everyone. It did mean that the travel days were longer, but it also meant that there was little crying in the van. For this season in family life, the benefits of the latter hands-down outweighed the disadvantages of the former.

Our days this past week were full and happy. We played at Mr. Roger's Neighborhood on Wednesday and were joined by "old friends," as Gabriel dubbed his infancy-to-toddlerhood buddy Joel. The yummy traditions of Thanksgiving Day were added to by the annual Turkey Bowl Daniel played in and the absolutely delightful mayhem six children ages 10 months to 3.5 years create. The remaining days were full of seeing dear friends and family, heading downtown to freeze and thoroughly enjoy the parade (Bronwyn thought the giant Smiley-Face cookie and the horses were the best parts; Gabriel like the giant Macy's CareBear and the drums), a couple meals at some favorite restaurants, enough shopping to tide me over until next time I see stores, playing games, etc.

Gabriel sure does love his Grandma and he sure hates the long drive, as was evidenced by his heartbroken sobbing the first 30 minutes of the drive home.

Bronwyn declared very loudly and of her own accord at the Thanksgiving table that she is thankful for Jocelyn.

Jackson thinks the schedule Mom keeps while on vacation is great, since it means a lot more availability for snuggling and holding.

Daniel and I both agree that our week was practically perfect in every way.

And now we're home, and it's good to be here. We like our house. We need some routine again. The kids need to be re-focused and reminded of the rules. Everybody could use some sleep. And I need to get myself pulled together so that decorations adorn and presents are wrapped and delicious scents waft... SOON!

The Kids at Mr Roger's Neighborhood






At Grandma's




2-year-old BedHeads


Proof of Relation


The Clan


Proud Grandparents


Die-Hard Fans


Bedtime Stories with Grandma


Listening to the new Christmas CD from Grandma this morning



11 comments:

  1. sounds (and looks!) absolutely lovely! How wonderful it is to spend time with family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. awwwwww... looks like grandpa and grandma were thrilled to have you all!  i noticed some of the same toys we play with at OUR grandma's house (used to mine)... the "woodies" and those little milk bottles... fun memories!

    ReplyDelete
  3. umm, second picture from the top... brietta? or bronwyn?

    and last pic -- oh my goodness, oh my goodness! i want three kids!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute pics!  It was so nice seeing you all again! Love you...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it!  I especially love the glamour shot of Daniel and I.  Maybe you can crop out just his head for the next time that BASIC or some other group needs his photo for a flier!  We look SOOOO smart! 

    ReplyDelete
  6. it was nice visiting with you guys! It's been a long time, and a few more kids have been added since we were able to do that last=)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So fun! I can't believe how quickly your children have grown since the summer. How exciting but how frightening! :) Glad to hear your trip went wonderful. Glad you're home though!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your blogs into your world.
    I can surely empathize with you on long car rides. It is 1200+ miles back to Kansas City & then another 2-3 hours to Kevin's mothers home.
    My husband likes to drive straight through! yeah right! The kids and I decided to go for it the last time he suggested it. We about drove each other nuts & nobody was nursing every 2-4 hours. We did have 2 in pull-ups try to potty train. I must say I did think of you guys the other day and pray for traveling GRACE, don't know if you were already here or not. Hope it helped.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love reading your reflections on our wonderful week together.  I'm already looking forward to our next time together.  I especially enjoyed your pictures.
    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete