Saturday, September 2, 2006

The news in a young mother's world:
  • 3 batches of brownies is both a lot and a little. It fills my big tupperware bowl completely as I mix it, and yet it will barely satisfy the grumblings of 40-50 students' tummies tomorrow afternoon.
  • Jackson gets up on all fours and rocks back and forth continually, though still prefering his military-inching over trying anything new. I don't think he will be 10 months old before crawling.
  • Bronwyn is increasingly afraid of loud noises. Now we avoid the garbage disposal, "Mr. Bile" (aka "Flem") in Monsters, Inc., and any cell phone interference with the baby monitor, along with the following previously banned/avoided noises: my hairdryer, the vacuum cleaner, the gorilla in Baby's Day Out, Gabriel yelling, and listening to loud music in the vehicle.
  • Ben & Jerry's ice cream has been on sale this whole week at P&C. I will be sad this coming week.
  • I am only one chapter into Shepherding A Child's Heart and am thoroughly convinced it will live up to my expectations, which are quite high after having it recommended as the "must-read" by many parents who have raised children who serve the Lord.
  • Gabriel has been acting like more of a boy this past week than ever before. I must confess that having grown up in an estrogen-driven house did not prepare me for the zany, loud, constant-movement behavior of late. (Crying and lots of talking I am familiar with.) This presents a challenge for me: I have a difficult time determining when I need to let him be energetic and when I need to reign in his vigor and zeal because it is disrupting and destroying everyone and everything in its path.
  • We went for a couple days without Bronwyn's "pacifier-yiesh," but it's back. What can I say? Maybe I've learned that bad habits die hard and this one isn't worth fighting right now.
  • The other night I almost told Daniel I would pop the dishes into the dishwasher and then clean up the kids, only to remember just in time that I am the dishwasher. Have I mentioned that I'm looking forward to re-modeling our kitchen? (Don't worry, I'm anticipating but not holding my breath.)
  • Daniel has been gone a lot with the semester's initiation. It's been 11 days since he took a day off and our date-night last night was Daniel doing worship at an IVCF event and me staying home with the kids. (We're now 0-2.) I'm neither feeling steam-rolled or fried, but I find that I write a lot more when I've gone without much adult interaction.
  • I am feeling very thankful today. For life, for salvation, for my home, for autumn, for pretty bedsheets, for a red-haired baby, for big windows, for Vonage, for a daughter, for an old train set, for a big table on loan, for living near sisters, for a potty-trained son... I am richly and wondrously blessed.

6 comments:

  1. So may I borrow Sheparding when you've finished? :~)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here they are . . . mad props for the best apple pie in the world!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just started reading the same book...very challenging and, I'm learning, quite a difficult transition for my perspective on discipline. As for my family, there are ten of us kids (6 girls, four boys) and now 3 "in-law" siblings, and 4 nieces/nephews. Big families are fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have always liked being the stay at home mom. I have had occasional jobs outside the home, but they almost all were limited part time and my children were with me!
    The movie has had me thinking about perhaps being a little more on the feminine side than I have been, and even a little "doting" on my husband wouldn't hurt me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I have seen snippets of your furniture and have thought the same thing.
    My furniture is slipcover furniture meaning it came with muslin covered framework and custom slipcovers. During the move they dropped the sofa and ripped the cover so they replaced them all, which was nice. They fit so nicely because there is velcro in all the right places and they are a custom fit. However, I often looked at Surefit in the past and have heard good things about them. After I ordered the red (which I really like) I read about the practicality of white. I thought white would be impractical but when it comes to fading and ease of washing, just the opposite is true. I have had to wash the yellow ottoman cover more often (because of cat hairballs) than the other and, although it wasn't super obvious, it was definitely faded more than the rest. I can only imagine what the difference the red would be if  I only washed one piece. (There is now a red towel covering the ottoman when company isn't around.) If I ever get another set (which would only be if they were damaged in another move because it was over $1200) I think I would go white. I went without living/family room furniture for almost three years to get this set. I plan on it lasting a very long time.

    ReplyDelete