Saturday, September 16, 2006

My third nephew arrived last night; my first nephew related by blood. He doesn't look like me or mine and, in fact, my youngest boy looks a whole lot more like the new mother than this baby does, but he's certainly cute and we are all most definitely claiming him! The labor my sister experienced was in total the length of time it takes me to get from 8cm to 10cm. I am thrilled for her, and reminded that He indeed hears our prayers, of which I have offered many towards a quick and uncomplicated delivery of this first Dunphey baby.

(I'm not sure why these prayers don't work the same way for me, but I'll save discussions on God's sovereignty for another day. )

Last night I returned home and just sat for a while in my children's bedroom watching Gabriel and Bronwyn and Jackson sleep, stepping-stone sized bodies curled up in beds, lined up in a row. There's nothing like the arrival of new life to remind me how miraculous and precious each life is. I might have had a rougher afternoon with these three lives that I am called to steward than most any I've had before, but the day ended with my heart filled afresh: I felt--again--a deep gratitude that He would care to let me play a part in who they are becoming.

This thing called motherhood is awe-inspiring, fear-filling, challenge-laden, and grace-imperative. Only God could have imagined and created such a divine plan.

6 comments:

  1. congratulations on another nephew! It's such fun, isn't it?  You're right that there is something about a new little life to make us appreciate our little ones.  When Aidan was awake and obviously in pain for about an hour last night, I had so much more compassion because I was thinking of Danica and her precious boy.  Somehow it makes us remember the miracle and blessing of a our own. 

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exciting times for your whole family! Congratulations on that new little nephew! How precious a time...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on your new nephew!!! How exciting. I'm so glad you can be so close to Danica right now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. congratulations, and kudos, and agreement.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations... how wonderful. I am freshly aware of all of those feelings right now. =) Mariah looks so incredibly much like Joel did; I keep thinking "It wasn't so long ago..."

    You'll have to have Danica lay hands on you or something!!!

    ReplyDelete