Saturday, September 23, 2006

One foot in front of the other.

That's how I would describe these past two weeks. It hasn't been fun, and I'm sure it hasn't been pretty. Without doubt, people around me are tired of hearing me respond to, "How are you?" with "I'm tired." And even more surely, my family is glad to receive a more amitious and inspired wife and mom back. You know, the thrilled-for-fall, make-the-house-pretty, try-new-recipes, light-lots-of-candles wife and mom.

She's been rather absent, you know. (Maybe you don't.)

The good thing is she's been making re-appearances. And--wouldn't you know?--these appearances are daily increasing in frequency and length. It might just be that we all are on the brink of bidding tired, grouchy, discouraged, and hopeless wife and mom good-bye.

I am grateful for hugs from my husband, a friend I can call on the phone when I'm having a bad day, the demands of my children that force me to continue with the basics even when I want to drift away, pumpkins from Mom, a new baby's birth, and Grace that revives my spirit.

I'm also grateful for Proverbs. (Sometimes I just need a kick in the butt when it comes to diligence and seeing the promises He gives to those who don't give up and give in fulfilled in my life.)

All in all, I'm glad that this "slump" is being cut short.

Just in time to enjoy my very favorite-est of seasons!

8 comments:

  1. well i'm glad i'm not the only one who still thinks of herself as a girl :)

    i love autumn as well! its my favorite season.

    p.s. i love your colors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the prayers and the offer of help. I think that most of my family is going to the memorial in Queens. That is much less complicated than trying to get to Florida by myself. I think we'll have everything covered but if I'm in a pinch, I just may take you up on that childcare offer!

    oh and I have a few (maybe 4?) dresses that are so cute but too short for Alyssa. They're all 3T and all long sleeve. What size is Bronywn wearing? Are you interested in a few dresses?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brietta- wow. I think you and I are a lot alike. In fact, a comment your husband made a couple of weeks ago made me ask, "Brietta and I are a lot alike, aren't we?"  I wouldn't expect your husband to answer since he doesn't KNOW me, so it was more of a comment than a question. But Carina heard me and she confidently (and rather aggressively) nodded her head! I could basically copy and paste your post onto my site and everyone who knows me well would be sure it was my own. Keep that chin up, girl. We have lots to be thankful for! P.S. Fall is my absolute favorite, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is GREAT. I hear ya. I feel like lighting candles as well and baking apple pies and such. I have Indian Corn Hanging outside our appartment door from my mother and she also gave me two little punpkins that Hayla likes to move around the place. She is cute that gal. Anyway. I need to get my grandma's apple pie recipe because her's is the best and I love it more than any other. I just haven't had many that weren't store bought I guess. lol. So that is so awesome to hear that your normal fall-loving self is back. I believe this is my favorite time of year as well. Has to be the leaves changing and the dark onanges and reds and browns of fall we all love. The cool air is nice too. This is the best time to decorate for. Ok I am excited now. YAY!

    AnDi

    ReplyDelete
  5. I actually checked the comments on my post today.  It's been a bit busy here lately!  Having Ryan back can do that!  I would love to get in on some of the activities with the visitors this weekend.  It's kind of hard for me to know what my schedule will look like at this point.  Nicole Bartholomew is going to be up and I think staying with us.  Justin's birthday is Friday and there *might* be a birthday dinner (haven't heard anything yet).  Anyway, I guess just plan and let me know what things may work to have us tag along on.  We would, of course, love to have everyone over here sometime.  If it would help out to do a meal here or something, just let me know. 
    We miss being able to have you here during college ministry.  Daniel is doing a super job and this group of students is a really quality group.  I hope that you're able to be at Life Group sometime soon! 

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also wanted to let you know that if you and Daniel want to plan on going out for your anniversary, we would love to have our little niece and nephews here.  Just keep it in mind!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fall is my "favorite-est" too!  Isnt it funny how candles burn brighter and smell better in the fall?  

    ReplyDelete
  8. "It might just be that we all are on the brink of bidding tired, grouchy, discouraged, and hopeless wife and mom good-bye."
    Maybe this is why we like(and/or understand) each other....I feel like this so much, and it's time for this one to say good bye too.  I guess it's a part of having too high expectations for ourselves and everyone else.  I think that's why I'm that way anyway.  Did you know the real perfectionists have the messiest houses?  Because they say, it can't be perfect, so why bother at all.  I know that's a lie though, and I think I'm making a decent start.  I'm hoping it will affect the people around me but I know I have to do it for me too.  

    ReplyDelete