Monday, September 18, 2006

Last night, I said, "My life has been on the fast-track." And I did not lie.

I'm barely 24 and I'm approaching my 5th wedding anniversary. I have three children, one of whom is old enough to be asking questions about what happens when people die and how he can make sure we all go to heaven. I own a home (well, I'm working towards owning it, as it still belongs more to the bank than to me).

There has been great joy along the way. My journey thus far has been a speedy one and wrought with much blessing and the obvious working of God. But I would be lying to say that I don't many times wish I was more "normal." In many ways, I relate better with 30-some-year-old moms than with my peers, and this is often tough for me.

I look at what other alternative life stories I might have lived. Perhaps I would have just finished or might still be finishing grad school. Or maybe I would be living overseas as a missionary. Another route may have been working a job somewhere, and having more money to give and less consumed by diapers and PB&J.

In those scenarios, people might not look at me funny or disdainfully or in shock.

But then I remind myself, in those scenarios, I wouldn't have been obedient.

When I graduated from highschool, my little sister wrote a song for me. For my bridal shower, she printed and framed it for me. I read it often and think about it even more. And one line comes to mind at least once a day.

Though the lives of many others
Are different than mine
I'll go the way You want me to
And I will keep pressing on

I'll go the way You want me to, Lord. I choose You as my portion and my lot. I take the fast-track, because it's what You are asking of me.

9 comments:

  1. Your a wonderful example of obedience!  Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the very best children. It's okay for me to think that, isn't it? Because I truly do...

    Love you, love your heart, love the song and her heart... You're a keeper! Both of you. (Actually, all of you!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trust and obey, there's no other to be happy in Jesus than to trust and obey:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great words... and I think you're great. I think everything about what you represent is just great.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for your obedience. I am around a lot of young people who took a different path. Most often they end up extending their adolescence into their early twenties. When I see you, as well as some other young women in the church, I am impressed by your maturity and wisdom. It is a statement about the sad state of our society when taking responsibility, having character, and obtaining maturity in one’s mid-twenties is considered odd. Where in God’s Word does it say immaturity is good or admirable? (I think maybe this falls under the broad category of foolishness.)

    You are an example to women in their late teens and twenties of God’s best. They are the ones who should be thinking maybe something is wrong with them. By looking at your example, they might realize that God has more in mind, maybe God offers more fulfillment than that obtained by just hanging out and avoiding growing up.

    RB

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thank you for relating to me, a forty something new mom!!  It's hard for me to make friends with the 20 somethings and you've always been so nice and friendly!  I think you're great!  And I totally agree with the post above mine!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is great.  It is very easy to think about what could have been, but obiedience is better.  God knows what he is doing.  There is a reason for each of your little ones lives and if you were just finishing grad school they wouldn't be here!  I have to think of that too when I wonder what could have been.  As for boy jobs I did some odd things yesterday like fixing Emma's chair, hanging the curtains and fixing the blinds.  My big thing coming up is I'm going to water seal the fence.  Josh sees so many little details that need care, I don't even think of things like that so I have to start anticipating what he would want to do if he had the time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Although our track is slightly slower... I feel what you're saying.  I was 21: married, degree, job... talking about kids/house/car... AHHH!!!
    Thank you and your family for a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your mom is right when she says she has the very best children. I know because so do I! Aren't we all so very blessed? Brietta, you are a missionary to St. Lawrence County, New York. The way you serve your family is evangelistic, to say the least. Other moms and wives are watching you (and soon to be wives and moms- like the one I told you about last week at the coffee house) and they are seeing a sweet spirit that just raises their curiosity to great levels. They watch and watch and finally- are encouraged. Spurred on to either accept Christ for the first time and start anew with peace and joy, or to deepen their relationship and strive to serve Him with a better heart and attitude. As for the masters degree...girl you have mastered it all. No, you're not perfect. But you're headed full-speed ahead in the right direction with your face set as flint. Honey, that's far greater in His eyes than any old PhD in theology or anything else. You're right when you say that those other things were not the path He gave. You're also right about obedience being the right choice. He will be glorified. Keep doing what you're doing, and remember who you're doing it for.

    ReplyDelete