Thursday, September 14, 2006

The Jackson Update:

(Those of you who aren't interested in the feeding and sleeping patterns of an 8-month-old might prefer checking out right about now. )

All day long and throughout the evening I nursed Jack every time I saw even the most remote of opportunities, sometimes even just an hour later than the previous feeding. Her comment made me realize that--yes, indeed--he had cut back to 4-5 nursings throughout the day and since I've figured out from various times pumping of late that he usually eats 3-4 ounces per nursing, well, that's just not a whole lot of calorie-intake.

When I laid Jack down for the night, I put a pair of long-underwear style pajamas underneath a pair of footed fleece pajamas, as well as the standard onesie and socks he wears 24/7. The tips on keeping baby warm made me realize that--yes, indeed--his little hands have been rather cold each time I've gotten him up throughout this past week.

I went to bed at 11pm, fully expecting to hear his cry at any moment.

I fell asleep.

I woke up at 5:45am to Daniel plopping a crying baby into the bed so I could nurse him. Unbelievable!

The best part is that he actually laid next to me and nursed nicely. *sigh* I've never been opposed to co-sleeping and, in fact, really like it as long as I get part of the night to myself and as long as I'm not 8+ months pregnant with the next baby; I love waking up with chubby hands on my neck, or to an infectious grin. For whatever reason, Jackson has been impossible to sleep next to of late. He thrashes and squirms and flails fists, etc. Not pleasant. (Thus me getting up every 30 minutes to 2 hours to nurse him in the rocker.)

But last night and this morning were perfect! In fact, he's never slept so well to date.

You'd think with Jackson being my third baby that I'd have figured some of this out by now, but Gabriel was entirely the kind of baby who slept extremely well as long as he was with me--so I kept him with me--and Bronwyn was entirely the kind of baby who learns to sleep through the night by 4 months and never once looks back. (Maybe she spoiled me a bit for this time around?!) Jack was definitely not doing either of those things.

At any rate, I feel better this morning than I've felt in... well... this is the longest I've slept since Jackson was born. I'd forgotten how manageable morning can be when I've slept well the night before!

Here's to sleeping well, and here's to Jack sleeping well again!

And thanks for the pointers!

8 comments:

  1. I'm so glad that you seem to have found some tricks!  We will actually be over more like 10:30.  I meant to say that he wakes up around 10ish.  Anyway, we're looking forward to seeing you guys!  (Jocelyn is especially excited about seeing "gacks")

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you!  I have learned that I cope best with the lack of sleep if I don't expect more than 4 hours of sleep a night.  On another note, I love bringing them to bed with us, but now I find myself waking up in the mornings with a stiff neck and a sore back due to sleeping between a toddler and an almost-two-month-old!  I love to have them but I can't really sleep that well =0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well well well,
    the mommie... you... were on the right track thinking it might just be more calories he needed! Amazing isn't it that our maternal instincts really were designed by God! ha
    Yeah to more sleep for mommie! As my husband always says.... Amen, let the mommies sleep, we ALL are better off if she does! I am sure Jackson will be in a better mood too, if he is sleeping well.
    I can't really believe he is already 8 months! Glad to know you are still not feeding him "real food". That term always bothers me, by the way, but I understand why people use it. The longer you wait to introduce him to other foods, the less likely he will be to develop allergies.
    Each baby is unique. We learn things from them all. It does seem though, that our first baby or even the first few, are a little easier. If I didn't believe children are a blessing, I would say it is a trick to have more! Just like our minds seem to forget the whole labor process until about the 8 month, and then it is all we think about! & I had easy labors! ha
    Have a great day, enjoying those beautiful babies of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy day for sure! Glad to hear all are happy and healthy and sleeping and eating and all that good stuff! Have a good one. And don't forget, it's Grandpa's birthday :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, their names are Joshua and Caleb.  Plus, I have another on the way but I don't know if it's a girl or a boy!  I am debating on finding out but then again it might be fun to be surprised.  (I found out with both the boys.)
    The funniest part about being away from the kids for the night is the fact that we end up talking about them alot and about how we miss them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So happy to hear the good report!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I admit...I am a cosleeper! What do u do when your child doesn't want to sleep alone? Well nothing but have them sleep with you. Plus Hayla sleeps great in our bed. If you didn't know this tip about co-sleeping then it may help. Keith read once online that you shouldn't put a baby between you and your spouse. You should put your bed up against a wall on the mothers side and have the baby between the mom and the wall. Then your spouse wont crush the baby. It is easy for me to feed Hayla while I am still half asleep because I do it laying in bed, I learned that early on to get some sleep. So I dunno if this helps or not but maybe. Oh and I read once that if a baby's hands are cold when they wake up then it isn't bad. It happens I guess even when they are not really cold. Hayla had that all the time, still does. They say not to over dress. Anyway I pray it gets better for sleeping and nursing.

    AnDi

    ReplyDelete