Wednesday, March 8, 2006

11:00am.

Bronwyn and Jackson are sleeping. [I discovered, by mere chance, that Jackson falls asleep and stays asleep when laying on his belly. So far, both my boys have been belly-sleepers (don't tell the professionals) and my daughter has been a back/side-sleeper.] Gabriel is watching his 1-hour allotment of television.

I love this time of day.

First, I am going to paint the wooden "j" that has been waiting to join the wall above the towel rack--assigning the cute infant-sized lamb towel to Jackson. While the letter is drying, I am going to pull out my Bible and journal and seize this opportunity to spend some time with the Lord; it might not be first thing in the morning, but it's time available to and beckoning me. If, after that, there remains more time while all children are pleasantly occupied, I will fold the many loads of laundry I've been shuffling through the washer and dryer this morning. And, finally, I will prepare lunch for two toddlers and nurse a baby.

This afternoon I have to make lots and lots of apple crisp for a gathering of students tonight in our home for Boston testimonies, clean the bathroom and laundry room (believe it or not, I have yet to sweep and mop all the mud left in there Sunday night by 40+ pairs of muddy shoes), supervise children during haircuts by Aunt Beanz, and make up the pizzas from two of the dough balls that were in my freezer and are now thawing. I can't guarantee "pleasantly occupied" children during all of this, but I am glad for an hour of peace and calm.

These are the things that constitute a "quiet life" for me, because they are what He has called me to today.

Thanks for the reminder, Mom, that investing the talents He has assigned us is the important thing--not what those talents look like. Such reminders help me enjoy the investment more than I did yesterday or the day before.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks again for the yummy veggies and gravy and all the kitchen help last night. It was such a nice celebration!

    AI - not a fabulous night except for Mandisa. Catherine also was terrific, and she is also a favorite, but I just don't know if she has that "like-a-bility" factor that they so often talk about. And this is "pop" culture we're talking about, so popularity more than counts! I think Melissa will be gone and Kinik. My guess!

    Julia is so excited! What fun...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your mom is truly a great writer and I now see where you all (and some still learning) get it from! Everything sounds AWESOME!

    Andrea Josephs

    ReplyDelete