Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Yesterday Jackson had another appointment with the doctor, who will see him again in three weeks. He weighed just under 8lbs 10oz, which is only a 2oz gain (at best) since last week and only a 6oz gain from his birthweight. Hopefully he will grow a lot more between now and the next appointment so that I don't have to deal with whether or not we want to start doing procedures to make sure his slow growth is simply because he's small and not the result of some type of dysfunction (i.e. kidney problems, bowel problems, heart problems, severe anemia, etc.). As I've never had a baby who grew slowly before, I didn't even know what the "normal" weight gain is and had to ask! I guess an ounce a day is typical, and most male babies weigh close to 10lbs by 5 weeks (Gabriel was 9bs 8oz by 2 weeks!). While a baby who grows slower than the "typical" isn't a big deal, a baby who grows THIS much slower is enough of a concern that the doctor feels we would be remiss in not keeping an eye on things.

I'm not worried--though it is a bit disheartening to have someone label your baby with Failure To Thrive--but I am determined to make sure he's nursing lots and well. I have a feeling he may just be a little guy, yet I don't want him to be unhealthy. Since supply doesn't seem to be the issue, there isn't a whole lot I can do. But I can pray! On the way back to Madrid from the appointment yesterday, I was so thankful for the peace that comes with following Christ. I know that my God knows every detail of Jackson's body--whether he is simply a small baby right now or whether there is a problem--and He knows exactly how much this little guy should be gaining each day. There is such rest in knowing He cares for me and my own!

On the other hand, Bronwyn continues to astound me with the way she grows! She really is going to catch up with Gabriel at this rate! I can't believe the little (kind of) lady is outgrowing her 18-24 month clothes. Is it possible that six months ago she was wearing 6-12 month clothing?!?! This fall and winter has been nothing but GROWING for her, including her hair! Friends in Pittsburgh will be amazed, I think, when they see her.

And in four days Gabriel will be three years old. He is such a gifted and smart boy. But wait--I wanted to save the Gabriel "tidbits" for his actual birthday, so I won't write another word! :)

4 comments:

  1. I am laughing. I did your personality page and lo and behold- I thought I clicked the block above RELIGIOUS, but apparently I clicked that one instead. Now I can't even remember which block was above RELIGIOUS. Funny. Besides- it was pretty much all guessing anyway- since I really don't know you well. I'm curious to see how well I guessed your traits...but how do I find the results of my choices?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the encouragement at my Xanga.  I have to bring Grace in to get weighed because I think it's weird that I can feel her ribs!!!!  Maybe it's just hard going from BIG football-player Seth to petite takes-after-her-dad Grace!  Well, she's still pretty heavy anyway.  Have you tried using cloth pads for your Aunt Flo?  I've heard wonderful stories that they cut the time in half... and I've used then- they're not as gross as you might think.  I've heard many women have a hard time w/Always brand because of the chemicals and ingredients- myself included.  I don't know what you use, but switching brands might help, too.  I know, I'm giving advice again when it wasn't asked for...  and I tried to be kinda vague.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen! He does know every detail and i'm quite sure Jackson is growing at just the rate God intended for HIM!!! Not every other baby or in comparison to every other baby, but he is growing at the rate he alone is supposed to grow at. If he was not healthy and something was wrong, the Lord would give you the instinct and show you. You have a beautiful family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey as long as he's gaining and not losing and is proportional he's doing fine!  Joy was born within ounces of her brothers but she only gained a pound a month after that. The boys had grown much faster than her. She's about 21 pounds now though at almost 16 months.  Actually she seems to be growing more now, after a year, when the doctor said to expect her growth to slow down.  BTW, congratulations, we miss you a bunch!!  Depend on what God says to you more than the doctors, because even if they are Christian they have a tendency to depend on their science first.  You and Daniel are great parents. 
    Love you all,
    Greta

    ReplyDelete