Wednesday, February 1, 2006

This morning I went grocery shopping. It was just Jackson and I running around in the muck and mire of the P&C parking lot, and I loved it. I haven't been out of the house much at all since Jackson was born (this is due to a very strict husband who, out of the love in his heart for me, has been enforcing rest and "laying low" to the extreme), and even the couple times I've stepped foot out my door, I've only gone to the church or my parents'. So, basically the last 2+ weeks have been lived in less than one mile of Madrid.

Yeah.

I love time with my kids--don't get me wrong. In fact, I really enjoy "family" outings to the grocery store (boy, do we sound lame). But sometimes it's amazing to realize how quickly the errands actually go when I'm not stopping three times to bring a toddler to the bathroom and returning items my 17-month-old has been pulling off the shelves and into the cart when I'm not looking to where they belong. And it's great fun to stop at Dollar Tree or some such place just to see what they have for Valentine's Day and not have to carefully calculate beforehand whether little feet and little attention spans can endure such a thing.

The funny thing is realizing how much more slowly I get flustered now than I did three years ago. I can quickly recall, with great amusement, grocery shopping with Gabriel as a baby and the way I used to stop what I was doing the minute he began crying. I often went to great lengths to make sure he wouldn't cry when I was out and about--whether it meant bringing the front-pack carrier, carseat and stroller so that I could try different things as we went along--and when all else failed, I would abandon the cart so I could stop and feed him. (And I wonder why he can be a bit demanding now...) Today I barely noticed Jackson wailing and wailing. I have become so accustomed to continual beat-boxing and crying and fighting and whining that the cries of an eight and a half pound baby, tucked snuggly into his carseat in the front of the cart, seemed extremely mild and manageable.

Perhaps one day I'll be writing about how undoing grocery shopping with lots of little guys was and how it's become a cinch.

But I doubt it.

7 comments:

  1. Wish me blessings!  I have to take ALL THREE to the grocery store today!  Yikes!  Boy, I can totally relate to having to pre-calculate the arrangements.  Before I even leave the house I have to make sure I have the front-pack carrier, Grace is rested and fed and diapered and has a fresh bib on.  Seth needs a new diaper, new clothes, and something to drink.  Cassie has to pee first, put fresh underwear on, shoes and socks, etc.  Can't forget my list (which is conveniently listed in order of the direction I'll take through the store... produce first, frozen foods last, etc).  Now, the hardest part is who goes where when whe get there.  Seth in the front of the cart, Cassie beside, and Grace in the front-pack?  Or is it Grace in the front, Seth in the back-pack, and Cassie in the basket?  Wait!  What about Grace in the carseat in the basket, Seth in the front of the car, Cassie beside, and all the groceries tucked UNDER the cart?  *sigh*  Or I could just wait until Sonny gets home at 6pm- only tonight is tap night, which means we'll be trading the kids in Fredericksburg and I won't get home until 8pm.  So I'll have to squeeze it in somewhere in between?  Hmmm, I have 20 minutes before tap class to run through the Walmart Super Center.
    (Brietta nods her head with empathy)
    Hahah!  But I still want more children!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is all making me chuckle...
    I'll give you a call today and you can let me know when would be a good time to come (and, of course, directions).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to love taking all the kids when they were all younger on grocery shopping trips...weird, I know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like family outings to the grocery store as well. Grocery shopping is one of my favorite activites in keeping a home, so it doesn't take much besides a good list and a bag of graham crackers to get me through it! Going grocery shopping by myself is on an equal playing field with an uninterrupted bubble bath or sleeping til 8am - I'm such a dork.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I emailed you the recipe. If you don't get it, just let me know.
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds fun but I never go anywhere without my hubby and of course Hayla my new pride and joy. I haven't been without her for 5 months (in 6 days that is). The only time I was without her was driving to church with my mom and I told Keith he could take Hayla...but that was not very far or long...lol. I am a crazy mom who loves every second (as of now) with my baby. I think it will last.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bri -
    As far as I know we can plan of family dinner for Valentine's Day. It seems like it might be nice - but if it seems more appropriate to do it as individual families, that is fine, too. Do you have specific thoughts on it? Did you have a plan for your family that we would be interrupting? Let me know your thoughts. I am not sure how wonderful this year's celebration will be since I am not quite up to speed yet, but still I hope to make it special somehow. Guess I'll need a bit more creativity...

    Went out in my boots today. Not walking without the crutches yet, but I did better than the first time. Maybe soom I will be independently moving all over, back to doing errands and all. I just hope I still remember to keep myself not too busy!

    Have fun with Phyllis there!

    And as far as church plans for the 11th - I have volunteered Louissa to babysit at the Cushner's, but maybe Carina or Julia could head your way. That would leave Liana and Camilla here to serve and they would do just fine. Let us know if we can help!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete