Friday, May 1, 2009

Adventures in parenting


:: Gabriel started playing t-ball this week in a community league. They have two one-hour practices/games a week and so far he is loving it. Daniel tells me, with no repressed delight, that he is much better at t-ball than at basketball. (This isn't because Daniel doesn't like basketball, but that if Gabriel must be better at one sport than another, baseball is Daniel's preference.) Gabriel is, apparently, rather natural on the field. He especially loves playing the pitcher position (which is strictly a fielding position in t-ball) because he gets the most action there.

:: I have been cracking down on whining around here. I'd not realized how dulled I'd become to the poor responses to instruction until the other night at a mom's meeting when obedience was being discussed. Sometimes I think I get immune to the complaining and grumbling and don't even hear it any more. I'm thankful for reminders that there is no greater skill I can give my children in life than that of knowing how to cheerfully obey.

:: The kids have been very, ahem, busy this week, and have left quite a bit of destruction in their path. A large portion of my tulips were stomped on so that they are broken at the ground before they even get a chance to bud. There are ink drawings on upholstered furniture. A disobedient romp into the swamp out back one day while I was making dinner (and need I say exhausted by the end of the day?) resulted in mud up to waistlines. I was called outside two days ago by an unusual amount of commotion in the front yard, only to find that my son had been throwing rocks across the road and had actually broken the passenger window of a minivan as it drove by. In it all, I am not unaware of how the Holy Spirit desires to teach me exactly how to both do justly and love mercy. I am not, by nature, intensely compassionate, yet I am uncommonly mindful these days of the challenges of being a young child in a busy and confusing world. I am also deeply stirred to make sure my children learn how to take full and humble responsibility for their actions. I am thankful that He is guiding Daniel and I as we seek to shepherd our children through every single growing pain.

:: The children and I have had lots of picnic lunches and pleasant walks recently as we fill up long days without Daniel, who is especially busy as the school year concludes. We also had a chance to go over to a friend's house yesterday and play for the morning. The other day I was thinking about how lonely I would get when Daniel was working lots before my children came along. Sometimes I forget what great company they are and I take for granted how much I enjoy having them around. I don't want to do that.


8 comments:

  1. TOTALLY sorry, but I am laughing at your list of ways the kids have been keeping themselves "busy". I know it's not really funny, but sometimes don't you feel like you have to either laugh or cry? I was crying for you on the inside!
    We have been having some wonderful training sessions around here, too.
    I won't mention the name of one particular 4 year-old boy who has been struggling to be thankful. You know about those times when you want to drop them off in Uganda for a 24 hour visit... :~)
    The consistency is sometimes exhausting.
    Good thing it's WELL worth it!
    P.S. Could I loan you my older 3 kids sometime? I want you to see the light at the end of the tunnel...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am certain God uses these lil' blessings in our lives to help us grow in our character.  There are days that I pray ALL day that He show me the fruit!  Just a glimpse of the fruit works and then I'm better!  Just remember there is always fruit no matter what stage they are at.
    If you have tips on the whining thing....I'll take them!  I have been saying "what does whining get you" and the response is "nofin"....but sometimes they continue to whine anyway.
    You will look back on all of this and laugh and will be telling your grandchildren with a sparkle in your eye!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, a broken car window already?! that's amazing!! :) i am glad you can see it from the child's point of view though. sometimes that can be really tough to do in those "what the heck were you thinking!?" moments. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel the same way about the whining. Mara has gotten worse with Danny gone. I realize the situation is stressful for her, but she needs constant discpline...and sometimes a second spanking right after the first. I find myself tuning it out or just choosing to ignore it. I get so tired sometimes. I have to remember that investing the time and dedication into her discipline now will bear fruit later.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @sarahellie - I know!  I told Daniel that although I've known the day is coming when a window will break, I certainly didn't anticipate it being a passerby's van window!  Crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Erin started t-ball a few weeks ago. She really enjoys it although before her first practice she asked me if there would be cheerleaders there??? When I explained that they would not she concluded with the thought that she'd rather be a cheerleader!!! So girl:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my!  The van window has me shaking my head.  Do you have ANY idea how many windows Daniel has broken??? BUT, I don't think that any were on a vehicle!  

    ReplyDelete
  8. @LisaMCriscitello - Your kids can come over any time.  Seriously!

    ReplyDelete