Monday, May 11, 2009

Mother's Day Blessings


I'm super blessed.

Yesterday morning, I woke and heard the scurrying of little people-- led courageously by their daddy-- to put the finishing touches on the morning's surprises: a mixed berry smoothie (poor Daniel would probably much rather make something like eggs & sausage, but he cares enough about me to make something he knows I like even though it's foreign territory to him) in a tall goblet and loving scrawls on construction paper cards.

At church, I was greeted with a million "Happy Mother's Day"'s. When I found myself welcoming children into the infant nursery, there were several comments about how a mother shouldn't have to do such a job on Mother's Day. I smiled and explained the difficult Child Protection laws that don't allow men to work in the nursery or teenagers to be in charge and, besides, it didn't bother me a bit. I'm a mother and thrilled to be one. What better way to celebrate than holding extra babies and wiping extra noses? Honestly!

In the evening, my family came over for a Mother's Day/Two May Birthdays celebration. (Jamie turned 23 yesterday and Merrick will be 10 on the 13th.) Daniel and Johnny grilled, I made two new recipes that I've been waiting to try out, the girls set out condiments and prepared hamburger & hotdog buns, Carina made the cakes, we laughed and had fun for several hours, and Daniel and Johnny did pretty much all the clean-up themselves. At one point Mom said something about none of our gathering taking place if it hadn't been for Grandma giving birth to her almost 54 years ago. Maybe it's because I'm in the midst of reading Gianna, the biography of an abortion-survivor, but the impact of Grandma's choice for life was very real to me. I'm so glad Grandma made the decision she made!

At the end of the day, I fell into bed, tired from all the festivities (have I mentioned that my 12-week bloodwork came back showing that anemia has already set in?), Daniel asked me if I felt blessed.

Oh yes.

So blessed.


3 comments:

  1. You're so right...being a mother truly is a blessing in itself! Glad you had a great Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gianna Jessen! Yes she has an amazing story! If you look on YouTube they have a video of her speaking in a Govt. building, I believe she said. It was very good! She tells her story on there too and I heard of her book...that would be interesting. Happy Late Mother's Day from another At-Home-Mommy! You should get the book, "In Praise of Stay-At-Home-Mom's," by Dr.Laura Schlessinger. I got it for mother's day.

    ReplyDelete