Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Spring


Everywhere I turn it seems spring has fully announced its arrival. We northerners welcome it like a long lost friend, and find its embrace is warmer and sweeter than we'd even remembered:


Photobucket
The flowers handed out at church have found a home in this pot; even the marigold, which I personally find rather... ugly. My boys brought me these flowers, searching me out in the nursery to do so, and that makes them beautiful enough.


Photobucket
More days than not, the clothesline is filled with the colorful billowing of shirts and sheets and tablecloths and diapers. I love it.


Photobucket
Our perennial bed, begun last year (thanks, Mom, for all the free transplants!), is doing so well! Today Daniel and I weeded really well and then mulched, and now it looks amazing. I have more mulch leftover, so we're thinking we'll turn more sod and expand it further along the fence (which has been the plan all along) now that we know we can actually keep flowers alive.


Photobucket
Gabriel is playing T-ball for the first time this year and absolutely loving it.
At this age, most of the players are busier picking flowers or-- worse-- their noses than catching balls, but he's still learning a lot and have a blast.


Photobucket
This morning while Daniel started work in the yard, I finally motivated myself enough to replace Easter decor with Memorial Day decor. The red, white, and blue is yet another sign that spring is really and truly here!


Photobucket
Our lettuce and spinach went straight into the ground last week, but the squash, zucchini, parsley, basil, and cilantro, which are just barely breaking the surface (you can't really see anything, it's all so small still!) need some more time indoors where the temperature is controlled. In 2-3 weeks we'll buy some tomato and pepper plants and get everything in the vegetable bed.


3 comments:

  1. oh man!  i want a vegetable garden!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad that I'm not the only one who feels that way about marigolds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! SPRING!!!  Each season change brings on such a newness, it is amazing how God planned that one! I will have my hands in the dirt tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete