Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Scratching my head


To all registered voters:

The vote on the school budget is being held today from 1pm-8pm at the MW high school.

The change in the consumer price index was 3.8%.  The proposed budget shows an increase of 6.3%.

The total enrollment K-12 is just under 800 students.  With a proposed budget of $13,557,742.00, that means a cost per student of $16,947.00.

I urge you to get out and vote NO on the proposed increase.


Since I would have otherwise completely missed it, I was very glad to receive this email today telling me to get to the local school and vote. I am aghast (and more than a little angry) about such ridiculous spending.

And I wonder, What could I, as my children's teacher, do with almost $17,000 per student this coming school year?

Maybe take Gabriel and Bronwyn on a tour of Europe???


5 comments:

  1. $16,9-
    Wow.
    That's a deal.
    In our district the budget is WELL over $18,000 per child!
    I was wondering the same thing...what could I do with that kind of money?
    Fill the gas tank on MY bus once or twice or ten thousand times!
    If you live in the Potsadm district, go and VOTE NO!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure why my comments are showing spaces between the lines. It doesn't appear
    that way to me before I submit! Sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow.  That's amazingly ridiculous.  I honestly don't know what our budget/child is here, but I imagine with free health care, pensions and raises for all who work for the school district, it must be pretty high.  Somehow, it seems schools think they should be immune to the effects the economy is having on the rest of the country.  I wonder how many citizens actually take the time to consider what public education costs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. UGH- I never even went to vote. WHAT a DUMMY I AM!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @LisaMCriscitello - We all piled in the van and Daniel and I took turns running in to vote. (I voted No to a new bus purchase, too. The whole bus scene is something I can't approve of, I'm afraid, regardless of expense!)  As we left, we wondered who on earth actually votes Yes to such unnecessary spending.But we both know there are plenty of people; plenty of people who really do think money, not Jesus, is the answer.  And that's so sad to me.We also got into a bit of discussion about whether or not voting like that should be a privilege of landowners.  After all, we're the ones who pay the taxes.  Interesting thought... I'm still not sure how I feel about it, though.  You?

    ReplyDelete