Wednesday, December 31, 2008

goodbye, 2008; hello, 2009


This has been a really blessed year for us. I look back and I see God's heart toward us-- His heart to heal, deliver, and bless-- so clearly. Certainly, I would be lying if I said that every day was rosy and fun (!), but I can say with absolute sincerity that God's grace has been more than sufficient.

I ushered in the year 2008 in a pediatric intensive care unit. I remember praying that this was not a sign of things to come.

It wasn't.

Without doubt, Aubrey's health and vitality and the lack of medical intervention she has needed is an amazing testimony our family has from this year. But in addition, we have seen God provide in so many other ways.

I began the year very much at my wits' end as a mom, feeling uncertain and unequal to the task; God has given me new joy in my day-to-day life. Daniel and I were both feeling unable to meet the demands on our time and energies; God has stretched us both and taught us a great deal about working together as a team to accomplish more than we can individually. We wanted our house to be a place of great hospitality; God has brought us a girl in need of a family, allowed us to remodel our kitchen, given us a rag-tag bunch of Steeler fans who join us frequently for games and kielbasa, and more. I prayed that our family would be able to serve and reach out together; God gave us chances to do so.

Not every year ends so much better than it began. To be honest, the year 2007 didn't work that way for us. Still, as the days are woven together into months and years, I am able to see the fingerprints of God in it all. And what joy there is in getting a momentary glimpse-- an eternal picture-- of how He is working.

At the conclusion of this year, I am very grateful. Grateful for His goodness and faithfulness. And grateful for a new year to serve Him and love Him and watch Him move!


No comments:

Post a Comment