Saturday, December 20, 2008

Simple


This year, finances and time have required simpler holiday activities and traditions. I am really feeling so blessed by this, as I was feeling kind of tired and rather undone after not living in our house (and without ready access to our things) much of the fall.

To be honest, I very seriously contemplated skipping the Christmas tree entirely, but Daniel and the kids looked quite disappointed by such a suggestion. Instead, we got a significantly smaller tree (only 6', as opposed to the 8+' we've been getting) in an effort to put less strain on both our budget ($5 is $5 after all!) and our backs.

Now I'm wondering why we ever got such big trees in the past. This little thing is incredibly sweet and I am in love with it.

I've only baked Christmas cookies twice so far. (I also threw together a batch of cookies for a very fun cookie exchange, but they were simply triple peanut butter cookies that I don't know I can refer to as Christmas cookies since they are not a traditional recipe around this home.) Due to the limited baking, I have had to somewhat ration our indulgences this year, making a breakfast of gingerbread boys and milk an extremely celebratory occasion.

I'm wondering why I've not realized before how much more fun eating cookies is when they are carefully portioned.

I have kept gifts straightforward and inexpensive for the second year in a row. One simple present per child. Consequently, my shopping and wrapping were done in record time this year, even without being in our house until last week. And, yes, we're still doing stockings for the kids, but not for Daniel and I. Wouldn't you know, Daniel seems incredibly relieved to not have to fill my stocking?!

Why haven't we kept things so understated and focused before? I am loving this.

Truthfully, I know it may very well be appropriate in years to come to buy the huge tree that little eyes can stare up at in wonder. I also know that I will once again be dying to make all the fun cookie recipes I haven't found time to make this year. But for now, I am enjoying the quietness and simplicity of a focused celebration. We might be skipping certain things and going light on others, but we have had more time than ever before for reading books aloud, sipping hot cocoa and laughing, listening to holiday music, sharing family devotions, snuggling on the couch under blankets, and talking.

In many ways, it really is true that simple is best.


2 comments:

  1. I echo these thoughts wholeheartedly!
    Bring on the $20 tree and one gift per child...
    after all- it isn't OUR birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We skipped the tree last year and this year and Lucas knows that my present is spending time with our family and being in awe, all over again, about Christ's birth. What better presents are there?

    ReplyDelete