Wednesday, September 10, 2008

This journey of faith


Tomorrow we leave bright and early for Aubrey's one-year cardiology appointment. In March Dr. Byrum told us we would probably begin the process of surgery at one year (a process that would begin with a series of tests and at least one cardiac catheterization). Then, after reiterating that at her appointment June, he paused and, cocking his head a bit, said, "But maybe not, if she's still doing this well."

Tonight Gabriel prayed his bedtime prayer, concluding with the same words he utters every night: "I pray that Aubrey will get the miracle she needs and that she won't need surgery."

I echo these words often, but not with feelings of hopelessness or despair. God has brought Aubrey so far and this frail heart of mine is daily encouraged by the miracle of her. It's absolutely amazing how healthy and whole and vibrant she is.

Merrick asked me today why she looks okay if she isn't okay.

Because of God, Merrick.

Because of God.

Yes, I would be lying if I didn't say that my faith is at times very weak. But mostly, I'm excited. I know that God is faithful. I know that He is loving and kind and good. I know that His plans for Aubrey are to give her a future and a hope. I know that her life is and will be a testimony of encouragement and redemption and grace to many.

This journey isn't one I really wanted, but it is one that is revealing the glory and works of God all along the way. I am learning what it means to walk by faith and I'm discovering in a whole new way what great joy and peace there is when I rest in the power of Christ.

Now as Jesus passed by, He saw a man who was blind from birth.  And His disciples asked Him, saying, “Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?”
Jesus answered, “Neither this man nor his parents sinned, but that the works of God should be revealed in him.

If you think of us tomorrow, please join us in prayer for yet another miraculous report for our precious Aubrey Colette.


12 comments: