Friday, September 5, 2008

My review on cloth diapering


A while ago I was asked to do a review on cloth diapering. It's taken me this long to do it for a couple reasons:
  1. I've been kind of busy and/or preoccupied these past several weeks.
  2. I've been hesitant to write a whole lot about it because I certainly don't ever want to make mamas who don't cloth diaper feel badly. We each have a certain amount of time and energy with which to work, and it's really up to us-- in obedience and submission to God-- how we spend those resources.
After some consideration, I figured I could scramble together some time to write about my 5+ months of cloth diapering along with throwing out this disclaimer:

Yes, I'm officially a cloth diapering mama.
But I don't do everything.
Please don't ever think I do! I can't bear that pressure!

OK, moving on to the actual review:

I finally made the switch to cloth diapering at the end of March. After researching and asking questions for over a year (I know... I'm so decisive ), I purchased fuzzi bunz from kelly's closet for Aubrey. There was a 30-day money back guarantee, so I figured if I couldn't stomach it and/or handle the time commitment, I could always return the diapers and only be out the S&H fees (which was less than one month's worth of disposables anyway). Long story short: at the end of 30 days, I wasn't a bit interested in returning them! In fact, I was ordering diapers for Jackson.

Making cloth diapering-- fuzzi bunz, specifically-- work for us has been a process. Learning how to wash diapers isn't as simple as I'd thought it would be, mostly because I have a high efficiency washer and hard water. There were a couple moments when I thought I would have to quit because I was having problems figuring things out, but perseverence and research paid off. One major plus is that I now know a bit more than I used to about water, ingredients in detergents, how washing processes work, natural ways to deal with bacteria, and more. Overall, this process of learning to cloth diaper has been rather empowering.

And, really, I'm thrilled I made the switch.

Like, totally and completely and I-only-wish-I'd started-cloth-diapering-years-ago thrilled.

Since I've not used other kinds of cloth diapers, I can't give the sort of review many other cloth diapering moms can. But I'll tell you some of the things I really like about cloth diapering and fuzzi bunz diapers:
  1. Knowing there aren't nasty chemicals up against my little ones' bottoms. This was the major factor in switching to cloth as far as I was concerned. I figured if I could save money while I do it, great, but even if I only come out even, the important thing to me was health.
  2. It feels good that I'm no longer throwing body waste into landfills (which you're not supposed to do with disposables either, to be honest) or contributing thousands of diapers that take hundreds of years to decompose. I also like that our garbage has been significantly reduced (and now I don't have to worry about the pail getting smelly like I used to, either!).
  3. Washing and drying them. I know this sounds weird, but I really do enjoy it. I especially enjoy line-drying them. I love seeing them on the line, all lined up and waving in the breeze.
  4. Pocket diapers, like fuzzi bunz, are literally no more complicated than changing a disposable, but they dry faster than AIOs, so I think they're awesome for newbies like me.
  5. The snap feature on fuzzi bunz is great. I have read lots of things about velcro wearing out, not to mention how annoyed I get with velcro in the wash. There are 2 rows of snaps-- one for the waist and one around the legs-- and I have never had a problem finding the right fit for both Jackson and Aubrey, which tells you they fit quite a variety of body types.
  6. How cute they are! Waaaayyyy cuter than disposables! In fact, I'm realizing I hardly need all the little diaper covers that go with dresses now that there isn't an ugly disposable to hide! Plus, pocket diapers are pretty trim as far as cloth diapers go, so they're not hard to fit pants and shorts over.
  7. Cloth diapering isn't as gross as I thought it would be. In fact, Aubrey's diapers are literally no grosser to change than before, since breastfed babies' messes are 100% water soluble and wash out completely in the washing machine, plus she's never had a blow-out since switching to cloth (occasional leaks, yes, but never the up-the-back messes you'll have with disposables). Jack's messy diapers do usually require some toilet rinsing, but I have found ways to do the job without getting even my pinky finger wet, so it's not a big deal.
  8. They are well worth the upfront cost, even when buying more expensive diapers like I did. I bought 18 diapers for Aubrey, 12 diapers for Jackson, 2 large wet tote laundry bags for dirty diapers at home, 2 small wet tote laundry bags for dirty diapers on the go, laundry detergent, 18 cloth wipes, wipes solution, and diaper deodorizor for less than $600. We were previously spending $60/month on diapers and wipes ($720/year), so we'll make up our costs in a year, even factoring in water usage.
I don't think I've left any major points out. If you've got more questions, I'm happy to answer as best as I can. I'm certainly no expert, but I'm enjoying learning more both through experience and research.


9 comments:

  1. Thank you for taking the time to fill us in on the diapering.  I went back and forth on what to do when I was pregnant with Abram.  With Matt deploying and us traveling all the time I decided to go with disposables.  I still think about switching.  It looks like the next 4 years will be somewhat calmer as far as travel goes.  I will let you continue being my guinea pig--I may have more questions once we have moved, are settled, and baby number three is in the womb .  Until then, good luck!  I am happy they are treating you and the little ones better than you thought!
    I too love the cute factor! 
    Oh yes.  Thanks for the work book info.  I love researching all the material out there--there is a lot!  I am sure I will have more questions as time goes on.  You're scholars sure are cuties.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the review.  As you know, I'm still interested. 
    Do you double up on inserts at night, or does the one insert seem to be enough?

    ReplyDelete
  3. @AHappyHousewife - For Aubrey, I have to do 2 inserts at night. I don't think I would if she wasn't on lasix, but as it is, her dose right before bed makes for a very wet diaper within an hour or two of going down. I've found that Jackson really doesn't need a second insert, though I'll give him an extra if I think he's had an extraordinarly significant amount of fluids shortly before bed.  Most of the diaper packages come with extra inserts, so they're not an "extra" expense, so to speak.  For example, Aubrey's 18-diaper package came with 23 inserts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I gave a rave review on BumGenius vs FuzziBunz, yet I am now using FuzziBunz instead of BumGenius.  I just can't pass up Kelly's Closet's seconds... especially when they go on sale for $10/diaper!  I honestly cannot find the flaws that put them in the seconds catergory!!!  I liked BG because they were one size fits all (which translates to less expensive to me) but FB's are the better diaper functionality wise- and they come in orange.  LOL.  I love your review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Japangela - I read enough other mamas reviews to know that Bum Genius aren't really one-size unless you have a baby that starts out kind of hefty but doesn't grow fast and since I needed more diapers in order to diaper both Jack & Aubrey, I figured it wouldn't actually be any more expensive for me to buy 2 sizes.  My hope is that by the time Aubrey needs mediums, Jackson will be potty trained.  (I think this will work because I still snap her smalls on the smallest setting and I think it will only be another 4-6 months before Jackson is ready to potty train, but we shall see!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I guess that's why BG's worked for me.  Frank was almost nine pounds (and round) when  he was born.  They fit him better than any other OS I've tried.  I also put the same BG's on Glory.  I tried a FB back when Cass was born and their style was so bulky and annoying back then.  They've really improved!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always liked cloth better but when they got rid of ivory snow(the soap flakes, not the detergent) I couldn't get them as clean and soft as before and never found a good substitute.  I also used a regular toilet to swish the stuff out, and after Matthew was older we got one of those less water toilets, which don't work at all for that.  What are you using to wash with since you have the hard water?  I used vinegar for a rinse, do you use that?  I always liked cloth better on their skin.  I used regular diapers, had a couple that velcroed, but at the time I didn't like them that much and when they can stand they can take them off too!  The snaps sound good.  My biggest thing was you can't use them when the child is pretty much over a year and a half, they don't fit very well, especially when they need doubled up.  I guess that's why so many mom's trained their children at 18 months in those days.... With Joy I just ended up using disposables not wanting to deal with cleaning methods that didn't work that well and having to go up and down the stairs that often with laundry.  I love having our laundry right by the bedrooms now.  Probably my favorite thing here.  And the 2 bathrooms, I'll never go back to one.... 

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Brietta, I'm giving cloth a go, but at a lower budget.  My 20 month old is my current experiment.  I am almost running out of disposables for my wee one, and then it will be 2 in cloth. It's so nice having you share, and it gives me courage. I'll certainly be checking out your links!

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Cassandra - Not everything I bought was a great purchase in hindsight, so please ask questions about anything.  (For example, the wet tote bags aren't good quality at all and I have since found others I would buy instead.)  Good luck in your own diapering endeavors!  There is definitely a learning curve (I think I'm still on it!), but it's mostly a great experience, I think.

    ReplyDelete