Thursday, September 25, 2008

No more sugar


My first sugar-free week is going pretty well. There have only been 2-3 times when I've really wanted something sweet and they've all been in the afternoons (boy, was I desperate for a pick me up!). I've been surprised that the urge hasn't hit me in the evenings since I'd thought most of my sugar intake came after the kids are in bed, particularly on the nights I'm home alone (which is at least 3-4 out of 7). Apparently I had an afternoon habit that I didn't like to acknowledge.

Now, I should mention that I haven't cut out natural sugars, which is what really hardcore anti-candida dieters do. I tried that once last December and had such a bad blood sugar crash I actually thought I was having a heart attack. (Okay, so I sometimes over-react...) My sugar-free diet simply means I'm not eating any refined or processed sugars. This week I haven't happened to have any honey or maple syrup, but that hasn't been intentional. I'm also eating my regular amount of fruits each day.

I'm still really tired, so I guess cutting out sugar isn't the magical cure-all I was hoping for. But the thrush doesn't seem to be any worse and might even be mildly improving, so that's good.

I must say that I'm looking forward to Saturday, though! I have to make cookies tomorrow to send to the Rick Mackin House Raising this weekend and I'm already planning on making extra so there are some here for the family. Of course, I know I need to set limits for myself over the weekend or I will have completely missed the point of this whole thing!

Overall, I know this is really good for me (in more ways than one), and I'm glad I'm doing it.


2 comments:

  1. The only time I really crave/need a pick me up is in the afternoons as well. I find myself (when it's chilly out) making a cup of hot coco with whip cream on top anytime between 2-3 pm because I'm feeling so weak!!! Ridiculous I know.I could never go off sugar though, at least not now. I love icecream, cookies, cake, the whole deal WAY TOO much. Good luck with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, I don't know how you do it!  I think it might be worse if I had a break on the weekends.  Probably get all hopped up on Saturday and then crash til Thursday, haha!  I looked at the serious restriction list and I think if you go hardcore you can have.... water.  So I say thumbs up to the balanced approach!

    ReplyDelete