Tuesday, September 2, 2008

First day of school


We began our first official day of school today. (I write "official," but Gabriel isn't actually enrolled with our local school system yet since his birthday falls after the December 1st requirements.) The first day is always exciting for everyone, but I really do think Gabriel will enjoy school. He loves sitting at the table and doing workbooks, artwork, simple math equations, etc.

Photobucket

My phonics program this year isn't really a program. It's a $4 book Mom highly recommended to me that lays out a simple and straightforward plan for teaching your child to read. Since I've hardly used it I don't feel I can give a rave review, but I absolutely love the concept and am really glad I'm going with it.

Photobucket

The favorite part of the day was definitely drawing family portraits to go along with the Social Studies reading we did and our read-aloud time. We're starting with Little Pear. I hope to read Mr. Poppers Penguins and Five Little Peppers before Christmas, too.

Photobucket


10 comments:

  1.  Awwww too cute. The first day is always so fun. Enjoy!!
    Chelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Gabriel's cheesy grin in the last photo... so him being himself! I love it!Have you fit all of this into your morning routine, or during naptime?.... Just curious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What workbooks do you have them using in the pictures?  I am trying to get myself set up for Abram in a couple of years.  I am on the hunt for great books!  I am going to look into the one your mom recommended.  I certainly trust her (and yourself) advice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @MrsNelsonAndMamma2 - In the pictures, Bronwyn is using a B@rney & Friends workbook my parents gave her as a birthday gift. (Maybe 10 pages worth of material-- simple and preschoolish, but not anything formal.)  Gabriel is working in his math book. I can give you more details on why I chose that math curriculum if you want.I highly recommend the reading book.  I know you really admire Lisa (as do I), and the whole time I was reading it, I kept thinking that she would really like it (which I told her!).  There isn't a laid-out day-by-day plan that most any other curriculum gives you, but it does give you the overall plan you need.  Since I like to know each day what I'm going to be doing, I was nervous about going with something so simple, but I'm finding that a little forethought is all that's necessary.  I'll let you know how it goes!  My mom taught 5 kids to read with that method and loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i'm curious as to what things you're planning to do with bronwyn?  kayla is in school every day, but of course - its all japanese.  we were trying to think of some things/books/etc we could have shipped to aid her in her ENGLISH learning and such. 

    ReplyDelete
  6. Once you get your schedule worked out, I would love to hear about what your days look like!  I just keep thinking "now, HOW will I fit school into a day!?"

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh man, this reminds me of my preschool glory days...I loved learning to read!!  Have fun.  

    ReplyDelete
  8. These really are sweet times. I used that book as well, and the other in the series are great as well.  Thanks for the happy pictures. My little guy officially starts this year too.

    ReplyDelete