Thursday, August 28, 2008

My two girls


Today Bronwyn and Aubrey had appointments with our doctor. Bronwyn's 4-year well-care visit was about 2 weeks late; Aubrey's 1-year well-care visit was about 2 weeks early. (Works well for me that we could do both on the same day.)

It was just the girls with me when we went, thanks to Nanz, who stayed home with the boys so that Jackson could take his afternoon nap. As I got them in and out of the van and walked into the office, I found myself trying to imagine if it were just them, or if my kids were more like 3 years apart in age instead of the 18 months they are. Life would definitely be simpler in many ways were that the case. There would be a lot less squabbles (at least for now), that's for sure! But I can't imagine Bronwyn without her brother-playmates. God sure knows what's best for each of us.

I was only embarrassed a couple times by Bronwyn. Like when she confidently answered the doctor's question regarding whether or not she sits in a carseat with, "Nope." You can be sure I was the recipient of a rather shocked expression and had to quickly explain that she's very excited about no longer being in a carseat but in a booster seat that she received from Grandma and Pap-Pap as a birthday gift.

Bronwyn continues to be at the top of the charts growth-wise. Her 42lbs puts her in the 85% and her 40.75" put her in the 71%. She and Gabriel are regularly neck-and-neck size-wise until he pulls ahead every so often with a bit of a growth spurt.

Aubrey, on the other hand, took a bit of a nose-dive percentile-wise, though I got many comments about how healthy she's looking and acting. She's 16lbs4oz and 28" long, and her head circumference is 17.75"-- less than the 3%, the 15%, and the 40%. I think the her increased mobility is the reason for such minimal growth these past couple months (a little over 1lb). No big deal except it means that we're still quite a ways off from being able to turn her forward-facing in the vehicle, which usually makes babies happier it seems.

[Warning: bunny trail]

Sometimes I just want to throw percentiles out the window anyway. I mean, I understand that there needs to be some frame of reference, but I also think our culture too highly esteems averages when it comes to our children, particularly their health and academic abilities. Ugh.

[End bunny trail]

It was just a brief 1.5 hours of time spent in a less-than-exciting fashion, but it was fun nonetheless. We talked about dresses and pink and dolls and Aubrey's upcoming birthday and clogs and braids and our vegetable garden. We swung our clasped hands as we walked through the parking lot. We hugged a lot and shared "secrets."

I'm so thankful they're healthy (Bronwyn's incision looks great and Aubrey is all-around looking wonderful!).

I love my girls.


6 comments:

  1. It's not just kids with their averages. My midwife and I were discussing glucose tests, and I mentioned that a friend here was in her fourth pregnancy with gestational diabetes."Is she Asian?"I was surprised... "Uh, yeah, Filipino."Turns out that I guess all Asian women score off the charts with glucose tests, because our glucose tests were created for Caucasians. And rather than realize that their average is not the same as our average, the poor women are all slapped with gestational diabetes and forced to jump through hoops for 9 months.Ugh.BTW, totally awesome wardrobe. I got the full scoop from Mom right after the purchase, so I knew it was something special.Miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like Aubrey is doing great!  Joy was between 17 and 18 lbs at one year....and had just started to get the first tooth....I'm glad everyone is doing so well. 

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ana weighed in at just over 16 lbs at one year.
    She was a little thing, but boy, could she move!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @thisrequiresthought - Well, Aubrey's not breaking any "moving" records, but at a little over 16lbs, boy can she shriek.(Just doesn't have the same positive ring to it, huh?! )

    ReplyDelete
  5.  I really love her shriek! And I'm still not totally convinced that it means what you think it means. You know, disapproval.
    I mean, seriously- you're her mom. What do you know?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Girls really are the sweetest. I love mine too.

    ReplyDelete