Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Already Over?


Last night we returned home from our week of vacationing on the north shore of Long Island. I love the ocean. I love the city. I love time away from "regular" life. I love doing fun things with my kids. I love family time. To be honest, I didn't feel ready for the week to be over. It felt as though it had just begun.

Today, I'm feeling shocked by autumn's imminent arrival. My Summer To Do List has hardly been touched and here we are on the precipice of bidding the season adieu. Agh!

Undone To Do items:

1. order curriculum (I have it all picked out but have yet to purchase most of it)
2. empty laundry room/mudroom in preparation for remodeling
3. re-organize closets and sort through seasonal gear
4. sort out toys and children's books and art supplies to make room for school materials
5. re-organize kitchen cupboards
6. potty train Jack

If Sherri lived nearby, I would hire her to come help me for a couple days. I'd gladly welcome input from someone telling me what organizational materials to buy and how to arrange things for maximum ease of storage. Unfortunately, I have to muddle through this one on my own even though I don't feel the least inspired to do so.

Frankly, I want this cold day to give way to warm sun. I want to spend the afternoon on a nearby beach and wake up tomorrow with the major agenda item being Walk to the Playground with the Kids.

This is unusual for me. I'm typically the girl who is anxious for autumn. I love the return of routine and order. I love baking lots of apple and pumpkin goodies and cooking hot soups and stews. I love cool, crisp air and colorful leaves. I love lighting candles and wearing wool sweaters. I'm not the girl bemoaning the end of summer.

At least, not normally.

Where are you, Summer???


11 comments:

  1. I will glad offer any advice long distance.   I am mourning the imminent end of summer as well, although for different reasons. How did it pass so quickly?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am totally a fall girl and I too am sad about the impending end of summer.  We haven't been to Idlewild, gone on a picnic (except the church picnic, of course), or gone out for ice cream yet... Heck, I don't think we've taken more than a walk or two!I hope it's ok for me to say that it does my soul good to hear that you haven't ordered your curriculum yet.  I have ours all picked out and I just ordered the first half two days ago, but I've been stressing over the remaining parts, thinking I was certainly the last homeschooling mom in the universe that hadn't ordered my curriculum yet.  (By the way, CBD is FAST!  You could order 4 days before school starts and be set.  Unfortunately, they definitely don't have everything we need, although I was surprised to find they had several things at great prices and free shipping to boot.)*Sigh.*  I wouldn't mind an excuse for a mild sunburn or a cookout before we dive into all of that though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Summer is still here... in a MAJOR way!  Ugh... temperatures sore into the 100s almost every day.  I am still hiding indoors during the warmest hours of the day.  I bet we will still be swimming through September!  It's funny to me that the stores have the same "back to school" specials.  Swimwear is on sale here, even though everyone is still swimming.  I see all of the cute jackets and pants in the stores and I think "why would I buy that NOW? I might die from heat stroke on the way to the van!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. With the exception that it would mean that three months went by while I blinked, I would love for autumn to be here now.  I'm not much of a fan of heat and humidity...nor of chasing little ones around in it.  I am so ready to be baking pies, wearing sweaters and taking walks in the cool, crisp air.  Alas, I think summer weather will probably hang on for another month or more...though I do also bemoan a long list of to-do's that hasn't gotten done these past several weeks. 

    ReplyDelete
  5. @loribruehle - I guess it isn't the actual weather change I'm bemoaning as much as what it means, if that makes sense.  With Gabriel "officially" beginning school this year, I'm much more aware of the fact that in 2-3 short weeks, I will need to switch from lazy, summer mode to fall routine.  Usually, a more orderly life appeals to me by August, but this year I am undone by how much I didn't take advantage of these past few months!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You make me laugh, something tells me you'll get everything done and ordered etc... I think you're doing pretty good for having 4 kids!! I had lots I wanted to do this summer too, somehow all I ended up doing and can cross off my list is "have this baby"!! And that was going to happen whether I was inspired/motivated to or not!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I say Amen to sadness over summer drawing to a close, but I have always loved summer more than any other season.  I don't allow myself to officially admit that fall is here until the autumnal equinox.  That makes me feel much better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey....just wanted you to know that we are bidding at the house auction tomorrow.
    Please pray!on another note: Welcome Home!

    ReplyDelete
  9. sounds like a mommy with four children...I found that as the family grew (now 6 children) other things weren't so easy to do anymore.  Lifestyle changes and it's all good although difficult to adjust at times.  We all feel behind at times but everything waits except the kids keep growing up.  I think I will always need to tell myself to stop and do special things with them or else there is always I mean ALWAYS something to do.  I enjoy your blog so much...want to meet you someday.   pauline

    ReplyDelete
  10. @thisrequiresthought - You know I've been praying all day, right?!

    ReplyDelete