Wednesday, August 27, 2008

My auction treasure


So I went to an auction several days ago. My reason for going (besides it sounding fun!) was the hope that I might find some sort of hutch/cupboard for my dining room that would be a better space solution than the small table I had in there. With the arrival of school curriculum these past few weeks, I realized I didn't have a good spot in the house for storing them, as well as all the kids' art supplies and "table toys" (that have up until now been shoved anywhere I could find). My hope was to get a big enough piece that I would have storage for educational materials and still have several shelves left for table linens.

There were a lot (3 estates worth) of things to peruse: everything from old books and puzzles to maroon recliners and an old pie shelf originally from a Kentucky kitchen. I saw one piece that seemed like it would work well and decided I would bid on it when it came up.

Imagine my delight when I won the auction for $150.

Photobucket

There was only one shelf when I bought it, since it had been used as a wardrobe previously, but there were already braces for more. Daniel cut a bunch of scrap wood and made me shelves. I'm very pleased with the results. It looks great in the room and has helped me organize things that were a frustration to me up until now. No more stuffing tablecloths any way I have to in order to make them fit! No more art supplies visible to curious eyes and fingers!

Photobucket
Not as many organizers within the cupboard as I eventually want, but we'll get there...

The old piece has a new home in the living room, where it's small size is actually nice instead of annoying.

Photobucket


9 comments:

  1. That is a fantastic piece!!  I have got to get to an auction one of these days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is great!  I agree with Jackie.  When we get back to the North Country, I want to get to an auction! 

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great piece for such a nice price!! How useful too:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a great piece, I miss North Country auctions. Isn't it fun when organizing projects come together as you had envisioned?

    ReplyDelete
  5. How beautiful!  How wonderful to have a nice, convenient storage place for your school materials.  You do such an outstanding job of finding beautiful, useful pieces for your home.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ditto to what Mrs. Paladin wrote.
    and...did the auctioneer really do "the chant" and could you understand him?
    I'd be afraid of bidding $150,000 (on the wrong item, nonetheless).
    Good seeing you the other night!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @wife2josh - Ask my mom or Margaret N. about any good upcoming auctions. There are lots of duds (or just ones you might not be interested in... like old farm equipment), but they know the good auction houses and all. Chances are, one of them is going and will be able to give you all the Auction Tips you'll need for success!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @LisaMCriscitello - He really did do the chant!  It was actually really impressive in a strange way...    And very understandable, I thought-- though this was far from my first auction, so maybe that helps.My mom was there to make sure I didn't make any bad bids.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like it!  I'll have to try that sometime.  The thrift stores here have really junky furniture compared to Pittsburgh.  And it's expensive!  I bet an auction would be the better way around here.

    ReplyDelete