Thursday, January 19, 2006

I've been feeling well the last couple days--for the most part. Dr. McCloy told me that my hemoglobin levels probably wouldn't seem to be as much of a shock to my system as not-so-poor levels might be to another individual since I've been living life throughout the past 3+ years at a much lower standard than most, and I'm finding she must be right. I'm accustomed to my weakness, I guess. :)   Still, I've spent almost all my time in bed with lots and lots of naps, and I really only emerge from my bedroom for a couple things: showering, using the bathroom, eating dinner with Daniel and the kids, and watching American Idol.

[Yup. I watched American Idol. Enough said.]

In spite of being very weak, though, I am amazed at how much easier the initial post-partum days have been following the births of Bronwyn and Jackson compared to Gabriel. I think this is largely because I've known what to expect after having gone through the emotional ups and downs before. Those first couple weeks after Gabriel's birth were in many ways shocking to me. The amount of physical discomfort wasn't ancitipated, that's for sure. I also cried a lot. Now I wouldn't be surprised if I just broke down crying any random moment--and so I don't!

Daniel has had his hands full without my participation in daily life. As if keeping house and caring for two toddlers isn't enough work, much of it is work he's not accustomed to and is being tackled while trying to keep up with his own work. Watching him deal with a highly-emotional Bronwyn, trying to wash dishes, breaking up fights over toys, combing knotted hair (accompanied by much crying), dressing children who would rather stay in their pajamas, and eventually giving up on running into Potsdam to do a couple errands was as if watching myself on a stressful morning. I wanted so badly to help but have found that as ready as I feel to jump up and do "normal" activities, a couple minutes moving around leaves me feeling dizzy and lightheaded. How thankful I am for two sisters who came over today to clean the
bathroom, dust, mop the kitchen floor and--most of all--help Daniel feel that not all is falling apart around him.

All in all, these have been precious days. I have been able to enjoy Jackson as a newborn even more than I was the other two children simply because I've been doing nothing but caring for him and resting. And there is nothing more special than "visits" from little people who climb up on my bed and tell me about what they're doing and how much they like their new little brother.

[Bronwyn excitedly says, "Jacks! Jacks!" every time she sees the baby, which is quite impressive considering her otherwise small vocabulary.]

Danica brought me At Home in Mitford from the library this afternoon, so I am joining the ranks of Mitford readers. She also brought a gift--for me. That was unexpected! I am so blessed.

Gabriel, Bronwyn and Jackson are all sleeping currently (operative word with Jackson), so I am going to find Daniel. He has been so gracious in caring for me. The poor guy is tired and worn out. Hopefully some time shared, along with really yummy brownies from the Kinnens, will pick him up a bit.

5 comments:

  1. Brietta - glad you are feeling well and are able to get lots of rest. Jackson is a beautiful boy!

    DP - mad props on daddy and husband duty! hang in there...pretty soon we'll get to do some "manly" work and hang those lights. get the flannel ready - i just washed mine tonight. oops, i shouldn't have said that. i think the fact that i did laundry cancels out the "manly" flannel aspects of it. we'll have to ask andy f., just to be sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. glad to know you're feeling well. a new baby is exciting. i'll be praying for you. have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brietta,
        I know how hard it must be for you to have to sit back and watch things happen around you. I'm so happy you get your Jackson time in right now though. I can't wait to meet him. Feel better soon. You're in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I pray that all is well with the new fam. sounds like everyone is doing a great job at this recovery! God Bless you ALL!!!

    Andrea Josephs

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Brietta. I was just praying for you guys today. I've been glad to hear about Jackson. I'm praying that your recovery is cool and quicker than expected. Tell Daniel that I said congratulations. I tried to call a few times a couple weeks ago, but I don't think y'all use that number anymore. I left messages just incase. This is pretty much my only way to contact you guys so I hope this suffices. Congratulations and you guys are in my heart and in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete