Wednesday, January 11, 2006

It hasn't been quite a full month that I've lived here, but this is my first post from my new home. Guess we've officially moved in.

We've also officially joined the ranks of "paying" TV watchers. Since antennas don't do much good around here, we broke down and purchased basic cable for the first time in our lives. TV is something we've not had much to do with as long as we've been married; before that, we both grew up in families that never found it worth paying for. But after debating for a while whether or not getting basic channels was worth the $12/month, we came to the conclusion that spending afternoons at my parents' watching football and such will only become even more difficult once the new baby arrives. So, for the sake of football and baseball and occasional moments with PBS for the kids, we're forking over the money.

Don't get me wrong: I don't think TV is an evil thing. It's just that after growing up without it and then being both with and without it while married (as opposed to in the north country, antennas do serve a purpose in Pittsburgh), I've come to the conclusion that it generally isn't worth making available. I like the fact that without it I spend a lot more time reading or working on small projects or visiting with Daniel. Why is it that in our culture we almost always turn the TV on--even if there's nothing we want to watch? Believe me: I'm as guilty as anyone.

Ask me in a couple weeks how we're doing with keeping the TV off more than it is on. Daniel and I both want to make sure that the evenings Daniel is home we spend more time talking, playing games, etc. than we spend with computers or TV or any of the things that so easily chew up relational time.

Here's to moderation!

5 comments:

  1. Yay!

    You're online...

    and you're 40 weeks!

    ooh, i'm excited for a new baby!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been good to read about y'all getting settled in and all o that. I hope you're doing well. I've been calling Daniel, but I'm not sure he still uses that cellphone that I've been calling. So... just let him know I've been trying to call you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree. R.Jay and I have discussed television in our home. We too have just basic cable and are considering dishing that as well. I'd miss Hallmark's Little House on the Prarie when little ones come along though. Moderation is what my husband preaches all the time. You guys are wise.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your little steeler's family=) for Christmas one of the girls in our youth movement gave us steeler booties for Garrett. I understand the tv issue- now that I don't live in pittsburgh!! We tried putting a 20 foot antenna on our roof and still only got one channel that was VERY fuzzy. We don't get a newspaper and for a while we didn't have internet so we felt completely out of touch with current events. The weirdest thing is that half a mile up the road you can get cheap cable- but not here=) we have the only thing that is available- Dish. I never imagined that so many channels existed on a tv. I totally understand how important it is to keep relationships as the first priority. I am thankful that my parents limited our tv time so much growing up!!
    I can't wait to hear about the birth of your baby! I will be praying for you. Thanks for your advice about enjoying these last few weeks...

    ReplyDelete