Friday, November 14, 2008

Two thumbs up


Six weeks ago, I started taking a new-to-me herbal supplement: Blessed Thistle. I had heard about it quite some time ago and even had it recommended to me at various times, but I confess that I didn't pay much heed. After being told by a very reliable source (the owner of this store) that it is great for increasing the protein content of milk, I decided to try it out.

Well, I think I can now give this product a hearty endorsement!

Aubrey has grown so much in the last month. She's gotten taller, her cheeks and chin are filling out, and her tummy is significantly rounder these days. Monday she'll get weighed before this month's dose of synagis and I'm guessing she'll be between 17-1/2 and 18 pounds! I am so thrilled with how healthy and vibrant she looks.

Now, it could just be coincidence that her biggest growth spurt to date has been since I began taking Blessed Thistle, but I really don't think so. Honestly, I really wish I'd started taking it a year ago when the doctors were so concerned about Aubrey's growth.

Beyond helping Aubrey with growth, though, it's also really comforting to know that the breastmilk she's getting is giving her plenty of protein since she is the world's pickiest eater. Though she'll usually fuss at us until we share anything and everything we're eating with her, after 1-3 bites she's spitting it out all over the place. Consequently, she still nurses many times a day (much like a newborn, really). I'm a firm believer in breastmilk being the most nutritious food she could be getting, so it's good to feel like I'm doing something extra to make sure her needs are being more than met.

Blessed Thistle gets a good review from this mama!


10 comments:

  1. I may just have to get my hands on some of that come June when nursing resumes in this household. I think its wonderful that Aubrey is still nursing. I was actually quite depressed when Annabelle weaned herself. Annabelle weighed in today at 19lbs (with her clothes on) and I think its amazing how similar our girls have been this last year with weight and height. Funny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!!!  Adriana is only about 23 lbs at almost 2 1/2 years old!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @keilalevendusky - Isn't it amazing?!?! I'm curious to see what her growth patterns are from here on in.  My other kids slowed down dramatically between 1 and 2 years; maybe gaining 3-5lbs total in that year's time. But maybe since she's smaller than they were at 14 months, she'll continue growing at a faster rate? Who knows?! Each one is so different and unique.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's really interesting.  I've never even heard of it!  Riley has slowed significantly with his nursing (except at night...  everything's quiet and he can focus then! haha!) but maybe whenever #4 comes along I'll have to look into it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to hear!  I just learned of it myself through a book, Mommy Diagnostics. It is one you would love to read!  A great book to have on the shelf.  I have given it several endorsements this year! She recommends breast feeding mommies take it.  Sounds like it works!
    Aubrey's nursing reminds me of Abram's nursing.  All the time!  I say, let her nurse!  Abram didn't get an appetite until he was close to 2.  Basically, when I weaned him.  I am glad to hear that you agree.  Too many moms would be worried.  God was so brilliant with that milk wasn't he!!??!

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey! you went to Bing & Denise's store, hey? they were always very helpful! glad to hear Aubrey is growingwell! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So...Eric wants to invite you guys over Thurs. nite for dinner. I think he's testing Daniel to see who he loves more...The Criscitello Fam or the Steelers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @LisaMCriscitello - How can we turn down dinner at the Criscitello house?  But seriously, how can I agree to have Eric working in my house and then expect him to host my family and me in the evening?!?!? We'd love to come. Can I bring anything?

    ReplyDelete
  9. So happy to hear about Aubrey!  Awesome!!!  I will definitely keep this Blessed Thistle in mind to pass on the news to others Mamas!

    ReplyDelete