Friday, November 21, 2008

A special month


The suitcases are mostly packed. This was no small feat since it required sorting through the belongings we have here at my parents' (where we've been staying while our kitchen is remodeled) and running home to swap the things we don't need this coming week with things we do. You would be more impressed with the difficulty of this task if you could see a picture of my bedroom with all the contents of my kitchen cupboards in it, but I'm afraid I don't have one. And even if I did, I think my vanity should stop me from sharing everything at some point!

Gabriel is at Friday Program, as is Daniel (he is gym teacher for grades 2-7 this semester). When they return, we'll pack up the van and make the 9-hour (10-11 hours with kids!) drive. I am so excited to see all our friends and family in Pittsburgh. It's been 15 months since I last made the trip down and I am so ready.

This month of November has turned out to be a very special one. The past 3+ weeks have been spent here at Mom and Dad's house. Since we live down the street from each other, one might think I see my family all the time, but life has a way of keeping each of us rather busy, you know? Being here for late night conversations and movies after the kids are in bed, sharing oatmeal breakfasts and family Scripture memorization, making bread for a brother who devours almost an entire loaf before it even has a chance to stop steaming, getting to put an arm around a sister who's teary about something... these are activities that I don't get to be part of most days. We came here thinking it would just be nice to not have to live in the middle of construction and ended up with a whole lot more.

And now we get to spend 10 days with our Pittsburgh family! I'm feeling pretty blessed right about now.


5 comments:

  1. Have a wonderful time!
    I know you will.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What great times!!!  You and your family have a way of making everything so meaningful and special!  Have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen.  What a blessing those moments are.  So glad you are thankful for them!Enjoy your trip!  

    ReplyDelete