Sunday, July 27, 2008

On to the next thing


Mastitis seems to be fully thwarted. I feel great. I'm so glad it came on slowly enough that I was able to treat it myself. Warm compresses of heated rice in a cloth bag was definitely the winner for me. I kept that compress on almost around the clock, as hot as I could stand it.

When I wasn't using the compress, I used cabbage leaves as a method of drawing out the infection. I'm not sure whether or not it helped.

The crowning moment of it all was yesterday morning when, just as I was really confident that I'd kicked mastitis, I realized I am battling thrush.

Yeah, you read that right.

(Not the same side so, no, I don't think there is any connection.)

For the past 24 hours I've been treating it myself, and so far it's not gotten much worse. I'm hopeful about it, which is a big deal for me since just the mention of thrush is historically enough to make me curl up in the fetal position and cry.

Maybe I'm just optimistic because it's been *so long* since I last had it and I can't remember how brutal it gets. (Hey! Seven months is, like, a record or something for me!) Or maybe it's that I've been faithfully taking a great probiotic I know has made a huge difference in my body's bacteria-yeast balance. Or maybe it's that I'm encouraged by recent home remedy triumphs. Or maybe it's just that I'm finally secure enough to know that a prescription anti-fungal cream isn't the end of the world or even a sign of incapability as a mom.

At any rate, I'm moving onward and upward.

I think.


6 comments:

  1. Oh Brietta!  I feel so sorry for you.  You have a great attitude and I am praying for you.  I pray this clears up quickly and that you and Daniel and the children have a period of uneventful healthy life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brietta;

    I think enough is enough of this stuff.  I agree with your mom-in-law you have a great attitude through it all. I have
    had the mastitis issues when I was a nursing mom and it
    is an uncomfortable thing to deal with.  I am glad that your
    on the up and up with things.

    connie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel like you always have thrush....I don't know how you do it. Also...just curious, what exactly is thrush and mastitas. Is it related to breastfeeding? Maybe that is a totally stupid question, but I was just curious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @sarah_purcell - Well, if you've never had either, it's totally understandable that you wouldn't know what it is!   Yes, both are breastfeeding related.  Thrush is a yeast infection that baby and mom share.  (And, yes, it hurts as much as that sounds like it would!)  Mastitis is an infection in some of the milk ducts.  THat also hurts-- and when it's bad, causes really bad flu-like symptoms.  Fortunately, my infection didn't escalate to that level this time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are totally scaring me.
    Libby and I are doing GREAT so far and she seems to be gaining quite well.
    Timothy noticed this morning that she has another "new chin".

    ReplyDelete
  6. How is the thrush? I'll be praying!!!

    ReplyDelete