Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Misc.


:: The Packing List and Instructions for Babysitters have been printed. A fresh batch of tortillas are cooling, ready for quick and simple meal preparation this weekend while I am away, as are four mini loaves of banana bread. This week's ironing is all done and the laundry is completely caught up (for the moment anyway ). The guest room bed has clean sheets on it for sisters who will be watching over little ones in my absence. Daniel, Aubrey, and I will begin our trip to Maryland for Daniel's cousin's wedding tomorrow afternoon after I've started beans in the crockpot, stripped my bed and washed the bedsheets, and packed the suitcases.

:: Yesterday afternoon and evening was spent lounging beachside, building sandcastles, splashing in warm lake water and feasting on picnic foods. I did the unthinkable: I forgot the camera and consequently missed documenting Aubrey's first encounter with sand; but at least I remembered the truly important things-- beach towels, sunscreen, clean diapers, food-- right?

(Can you hear me trying to convince myself that it's OK?)

:: I realized today as I began thinking through the weekend that I must really like using cloth diapers because I'm actually sad about the need to use disposables for the next several days. Yes, cloth diapers take more time and effort (I wash diapers every evening so I can get through the necessary number of rinse cycles before hanging them to dry the next morning), but they are plain old nice to use. I love knowing that there are no harsh chemicals or weird substances up against my little ones' bottoms.

And I love that they're cute.

:: I'm really thankful for the people at church, the community we share and the work we labor in together. In the last few days, I've especially been thankful as I consider the many college students who come in-- many of them otherwise unfamiliar with family and local church processes-- and jump into the work of the ministry: taking down chairs every Sunday after the service, doing nursery during prophetic presbytery meetings, coaching our Upward basketball teams, ushering, helping with the annual Hallelujah Party, and more.

:: It rained all morning. And as much as I was disappointed that it would mean using the dryer instead of line-drying the loads of laundry I needed to do today, I was glad. Sometimes a good rainstorm is just what I need.


6 comments:

  1. This was SOOO the Lord... I was just about to start tracking down the tortilla recipe, and ta-da! You posted the link!Awesome -- you just saved me, like, three clicks.  :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you use cloth wipes as well? I'm going to buy some cloth diapers soon and I was going to also use the wipes but I wasn't sure how bad they were to clean.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @MelissaLange - Cloth wipes are so much easier once you're using cloth diapers.  I have Kissaluv wipes and I love them.  I wet it with warm water, use, and then throw in the dry bag of dirty diapers along with the diaper.  It's so much easier than sorting wipes that need to be thrown away!  They have all washed perfectly fine.  And any minor staining comes right out if you line dry them in the sun!P.S.  I haven't forgotten about the birth plan!   I will work on locating mine tonight and getting it to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have a great time, Brietta!!  Not that you will have time, I'm sure, but just a reminder that there are 2 more ways to earn entries into the contest!!! 

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have missed several of Nathanael's "firsts" due to forgetting the camera.  I tend to get quite upset with myself about it because I was the third child and, somehow, all the pictures tapered off once I came along, so I feel bad that Nathanael might have the same experience.  Oh well.  Maybe he won't be distraught at not seeing a picture of his first bath ;). 

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I need to hang around you for a while. The thought of cloth diapers is utterly horrible to me right now.

    ReplyDelete