Monday, August 20, 2007

Recovering

In the 3 weeks between Daniel's return home from Spain and our most recent departure for various destinations, I took myself off almost all modified activity restrictions. One of the things this meant was that I got to resume exercise. (Now, now, don't worry yourself. After all, I'm hardly a jogging/running sort of girl, so you can rest assured that all I was doing was walking 3-4x/week along with some light strength training utilizing cans of crushed tomatoes. And, believe me, just that felt like resuming with a vengeance after having been laid up for so many weeks.)

And then came vacation. Other than walking around parks and a little in the city, I didn't exercise a bit!

So tonight I headed out the door after dinner as my first step in getting back into what little routine I had previously established. I was feeling rather inspired between Daniel being home (which meant I didn't have to push a stroller and therefore listen to whining conversation) and the recent drop in temperature and humidity. As a matter of fact, I felt so inspired I walked farther and faster than usual.

And, boy, am I sore right about now.

I'd like to blame these achy joints solely on the fact that in the past 2+ weeks, this baby of mine has most likely gained a good pound and my body is now in the full throes of loosening and stretching, but I honestly think it has as much to do with 2 weeks of missed exercise as any of that. Isn't it funny how vacation is always so wonderful until you get home and the laundry is piled to the ceiling, the house smells musty and is dusty, the refrigerator is empty and your children are hungry, and every decent habit and discipline has completely flown out the window?

(Yeah, yeah... real funny.)

4 comments:

  1. I can TOTALLY relate!  You should see huffind and puffing as I push my stroller for just one mile.  I laugh and remember the days when 3 miles was no big deal and I walked SO much faster!  I keep reminding myself that even this little bit of exercise will help with delivery! 

    ReplyDelete
  2. Precisely why I do not want to go up north in a couple weeks.
    By the way, we're not coming to Potsdam.  When I did the schedule it meant $375/fuel, 55hrs in the car, and 2,640 miles... needless to say, the first thing that was cut out of our plans was Potsdam.    I was also able to get Sonny to trim off a week, too.  He mentioned staying in one place for one week.  I can do that!  WOO WOO!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't walked at all...or should I say in years...and I wasn't on restricted bedrest...so what's my excuse!?!?? Plain old laziness:) I do keep thinking that exercise would be the key to keeping my weight where I need it to be but then again exercise takes discipline and in that area, well....there's not much more to say:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is super that you can get away and walk alone.  What a great time to pray and enjoy the view around you.  Keep up the good work!  Love

    ReplyDelete