Thursday, August 31, 2006

I've never before really compared "baby books"--you know, Daniel's and mine to our kids'. But after her latest post, I thought it might be interesting to check out all our stats and see how they match up.

Here are some of my findings:

-- Gabriel's "firsts" match Daniel's almost exactly. Daniel sat unsupported at 5 months; Gabriel at 4.5 months. Daniel crawled at 6.5 months; Gabriel at 6. Daniel stood unsupported at 10 months; Gabriel at 10.5 months. And so on and so forth.

-- I don't have a tooth record for Daniel, but my baby book included one. All three of my children cut their bottom (and first) teeth at 7 months, and it just so happens that I got mine then.

-- Bronwyn said her first word 2 months younger than Gabriel said his, but he was attempting sentences before he was 12 months and, well, Bronwyn was much older before doing so.

-- All 3 of my children have weighed more at 6 months than I weighed at 15 months. I guess we know where their size didn't come from.

-- All 3 of my children have weighed less at 7.5 months than Daniel weighed at 6 months, and Gabriel and Bronwyn actually weighed less at 10 months than Daniel weighed at 6 months. (How did Mom Paladin carry him around?!?!) We'll see how Jack grows; other than the first few months, he seems to be mirroring Gabriel more closely than either of his parents thus far.

-- Daniel ate his first "food" (pureed fruits and veggies) at 4 months, but didn't really like it until he could feed himself. I ate my first food at 6 months; there is no record of what I thought of it. Gabriel and Bronwyn ate their first food at 10 and 9 months respectively. Jackson has yet to have his first taste of anything remotely solid.

-- All 5 of us were blessed with incredibly good health and generally happy infancy. This is something I don't want to ever take for granted.

5 comments:

  1. those are really cute things to compare- it makes me realize that i should probably be more specific with Garrett's records=) some things are more blurry than others as far as when they REALLY happened. as far as baby #2 sharing birthdays- your list didn't include marie matarrazzo(sp?) who is march 7th. nadine is also march 8th. and amalie (micah's sister) is march 14th. if the little one decides to come 5 days earlier than the due date then, march 5th- our anniversary=) I think it is fun to share birthdays, we'll have to wait and see just WHICH one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Baby 3 is due Feb 25th. Gabriel is the 26th right? It would be so neat if they share a birthday!! Full term here we come!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tuesday night at the Sinclair's would have been wonderful...but we spent the day in Alexandria Bay and we had a meeting that night.  Maybe next time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our house is also buzzing with fun comparisons these days!

    As for car seats, I believe ours is the high back, but I must say we're pretty unhappy with it and while it is technically in working order, we've still considered getting rid of it and investing in another one. Neither Meredith nor my mom can buckle the seat without assistance because it's so complicated and often gets stuck. The cover is multiple pieces and Joel has dissasembled it, it's hard for them to sleep in, and it hasn't worn particularly well.

    We did get a Graco Comfort Sport for Seth at Target and we love it. It has worn incredibly well (We have the beige-ish Aztec color). You can't even tell where he dropped an entire ice cream cone. The buckles are the easiest to use and never tangle. The price is mid-range, but I will probably buy the same one for Mariah. (For those of us who like the idea of a Britax but can't touch the price, the Comfort Sport seemed like the best compromise.) I've also noticed that the boys are much more comfortable in it than in the Eddie Bauer seat. The big bummer is that it only holds kids to 40lbs. (I have no problem with this, because a 40 lb. kid is usually a lot happier in a basic $20 booster than in a toddler seat anyway.)

    So there's my two car seat cents! Happy shopping!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My poor younger children have no real info in their baby books -- just didn't seem to keep up. Oh, well. Such is life for those siblings at the end of a long line!

    ReplyDelete