Thursday, August 24, 2006

A special friend just had her baby: a little girl. This is a special time for her.

And I can't be there.

There have been a number of times since moving away from this church and so many wonderful friends there that I have ached to be back. Like today.

Especially today.

Maybe it's because I saw her first two babies when they were new, and because she saw my first two babies when they were new. Maybe it's because we both got married young, and only weeks apart, and both moved to Pittsburgh after our weddings. Maybe it's because we always liked the same doctors (or midwives), have approached birth and children's health much the same ways, and have been staying at home with our children for almost the same exact number of days, let alone years. Maybe it's because she likes my cookies and I like her cooking. Maybe it's because we both have addictions to sale racks and quality children's clothing. Maybe it's because I feel comfortable when I'm with her. Maybe it's because we both eat the chocolate chips before they actually make it into the dough, and because we both think ice cream is a worthy meal-substitute. Maybe it's because our lives have matched for quite some time now. And maybe it's because today just shows that they continue to match in ways... except that we aren't only minutes from each other's homes any more.

Maybe it's all those things and more.

But I miss her. And I wish I could see her to tell her that, and to kiss her baby's soft head, and to bring her some Chunky Monkey, and to tell her in person that I'm so happy for her and that I know her path, which might seem it's absolute best right now, will only continue to grow brighter and brighter as long as she lives.

Congratulations, Stace.

3 comments:

  1. goodness gracious. someone tell me to stop being so emotional... i got quite sad as i read this.

    and hey, i think we're ready for a new profile pic -- seeing as though that hairstyle was so a few months ago. i think my flickr has some of you -- or daniel's laptop with all my vacation pics! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been catching up on your recent posts and i wanted to thank you for being so encouraging.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nat and I took about a billion pics, so I'll make sure Stace, me, and Nat post them everywhere. :)

    ReplyDelete