Wednesday, August 16, 2006

I'm in Long (pronounced with a hard "g" when here, of course) Island. This is the first time I've been here in 8+ years... the first time I've been here since my dad's mom died... the first time I've laid eyes on my aunt's house--which is old and beautiful and quite the find 'round about these parts.

Yesterday we walked the streets of the city for hours. My feet were tired and my eyes sleepy by the time we concluded our hours of strolling, but my mind was full of things to consider and my heart deeply impacted by the world I live in.

I laid eyes on Ground Zero for the first time. My last tour of the city had included gazing up at the seemingly-endless buildings once marking the New York skyline and now represented by a huge hole in the ground a heartbreaking list of names.

I remembered, again, how many people He has made. So many walked by, ran by, drove by. And I found myself amazed by how intricate each one's life is... how important to the Father. I felt small. It was a good feeling. A knowing that He is so much bigger than I comprehend. A reminder that He Who holds us all in the palm of His hand is surely able to work out the details of my life and heart.

I walked through Chinatown and ate in Little Italy with my family. I love that going to the city can (and should!) include tastes of foreign countries. My passport may be expired with only a few stamps on it, but I've tasted a bit of other worlds without leaving my home state. That's cool.

I pushed strollers and held a sleeping infant. Most all of us "big" people had at least one opportunity for this. My children did well and loved their surroundings. There is much to see in this bustling world, so different from their own. And, knowing how many people He has made, I was once more thankful that He is allowing me to play such a big role in the lives of Gabriel and Bronwyn and Jackson.

In a couple days I will be back in my yellow house. I have enjoyed this little bit of traipsing. It only ever makes me happier to return to the place I call home.

Edit: Where else on earth would be the appropriate place for introductions with Starbucks?

5 comments:

  1. What fun!  We sure do miss you guys around here.  Jocelyn has been talking about her and Bronwyn's "happeee happeeee" since it happened. 
    Someday I want to take a fun trip to the city!  you'll have to tell me about all of the good places to go when I get the chance! 
    Oh, and I loved the photo of Bronwyn!  The Sinclair blood flowing in her veins is evident! 

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, every child should have the opportunity to have Starbucks for the first time in New York City. I love visiting New York.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like your having a great time! That's wonderful especially b/c you were so looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Louissa is a really good photographer!  Tell her I said so.  Bronwyn is such a doll!  I love the Starbucks picture!  Did she scream for more?  I  (big mistake!) gave Joy some of my root beer when we were out and she didn't want just a little bit, she wanted it all!  She was so miserable, I said no more soda till you're at least 5!!  My boys love flavored coffees and capachino...they only get it once in a while though....Matthew's cousin in Houston loves Starbucks though too.... 

    ReplyDelete
  5. PS...I'd love to go to NYC again, I was there when I was 3 for the World's Fair and that was the last time.  You all look like you had a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete