Thursday, August 24, 2006

I laid him down in the crib--a crib becoming all-together
familiar to him because of naps taken in it of late. But this time as I laid
him down, it was dark; only a small lamp on the first 3-way setting cast a
small glow about the big room.

But he’ll be so lonely,
I thought, unable to walk away.

That’s ridiculous,
came the practical response in me. His
brother and sister are right in the room with him; and, besides, he’ll be
asleep; how can he be lonely when he’s sleeping?

I’ve been lonely when
I’m in a crowd full of people, and I’ve been lonely when I’m asleep. So he can
be lonely
, came my stubborn rebuttal. I gently rubbed his belly and admired
the big, soft eyes that gazed up at me.





He’s been so good about going to sleep, without even a
whimper, of late. It makes sense to move him from the too-small basket by my
bedside to the crib upstairs that’s been empty for several weeks now. It’s just
that I hate to do it. I know he’ll be okay. I know he really won’t know the
difference… not really.

But I’ll know the
difference.

I’ll know it like I knew it when I saw him inch his way
across the living room floor today. I’ll know it like I knew it as I watched
him laughing at his older brother’s antics. I’ll know it like I knew it when
I paused at the dinner table tonight long enough to really gaze upon my two
oldest children who are now able to carry on conversations and be silly with
one another.

Yes, he won’t mind that the close-to-Mama
bassinet-sleeping days are done, but I will. He doesn’t even know that we’ll
never get those nights back, and one day when he does know, he probably won’t
care. But I care… I care a whole, whole lot.





I’ve only been a Mama for three and a half years… so how can
my heart already hurt this much as I watch my children leave things behind?

8 comments:

  1. and all i can think...

    i don't want to kiss you goodnight
    i'll just keep on holding you tight

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ashlyn's crib is still in our room though there is an empty bedroom all ready for when we are.  She is 20 months old... I know where you are... 
    Louissa made me think of this one:
    Think of me every day
    Hold tight to what I say
    Then I'll be close to you
    Even from far away
    Know that where ever you are
    It is never too far
    If you think of me
    I'll be with you...
    Ok its a VeggieTales song but I sing it to both of mine whenever I have that "your growing too fast" feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My heart aches for you. I'm not a mom (yet) but there are moments when talking with R.Jay and I begin to look on to my daughter's wedding day, and cry my eyes out. My husband probably thinks I'm crazy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Baby girl Parente was 20.5 inches long, 7lbs11oz and was born just about 3:30 am.  She has the darkest hair and it's sooo thick...like Joel's was.  She has a dark complexion and has the longest fingers and toes.  Her feet are bigger than Ally's are!!   She's adorable!
    Wishing you were down here too!  We miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know how you feel... Bethany is only 5 months old, but we moved her to her crib at 3 months.  This was really hard for me...and the crib, though in another room, is still only about 7 or 8 feet from my bed.  I don't know if I could handle either of my kids being out of easy earshot at night...Caedmon's room is still just down the hall.  I guess it goes with motherhood.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know just how you feel.  I am so sad that Aidan is reducing his nursing time.  I think that  Ryan must think that I'm crazy.  I really do get sad every time that they grow older!
    The house selling process is moving along.  We have been showing it a lot.  One of these days I'll drop in on you guys while it's being shown and I can't be here!  There is one person who really liked it and wants to see it again in the next few days... maybe it will amount to something?  I sure hope so!

    ReplyDelete
  7. haha, sorry it took so long, mine are still comin, but baby picture and name are on Stace's site right now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Seems like yesterday we were in church gathered around Phyllis waiting to hear whether Jackson had made his appearance yet...

    I just can't tell you how much it has meant to me to come home from TMC to see yours and the girls comments. It's so good to know that the people you love are thinking of you and praying for you in the most difficult and wonderful moments of your life.

    Please feel free to call anytime. I'd love to hear your voice!

    And by the way, I think "emotionally invested" friends are the best kind. :)

    ReplyDelete