Wednesday, August 9, 2006

For a yummy, crowd-pleasing, simple summer dessert, try making an ice cream cake (the following is based on using a 9" springform pan; if yours is bigger, adjust accordingly):

3/4 gallon of ice cream (a favorite flavor--or whatever's on sale )
oreos (if using a mint ice cream, I recommend the mint-filled oreos; if using a peanut butter ice cream, I recommend the peanut butter-filled oreos; if making a non-chocolate cake, get the vanilla oreos; etc.)
hot fudge or caramel sauce
extras: nuts, chocolate chips, crumbled cookies, whipped cream/cool whip, etc.

1. Scoop ice cream into a big bowl and allow to soften a bit--not too much or it will re-freeze funny (probably about 15 minutes or so)
2. Crumble a little less than 1/2 the oreos and press into the bottom of your springform pan
3. Spread half of the ice cream into the pan (it's easiest to use your hands to spread the ice cream, so it doesn't move your cookie-crust around)
4. Spread hot fudge or caramel sauce in a thick layer on the ice cream
5. Add whatever "extras" you want; even just some crumbled oreos is yummy
6. Spread the other half of the ice cream
7. Spread another layer of hot fudge or caramel sauce
8. Sprinkle whatever "extras" you want
9. Decorate with whipped cream/cool whip if desired

Re-freeze the cake for at least an hour. (Warning: your freezer will potentially get a bit messy, so either spread foil or wax paper... or relish the needed prompting to clean your freezer. )

To serve, remove side of pan and slice like a normal cake.

Trust me, people will love it!

9 comments:

  1. I've made an ice cream cake a bit like that for years, and my family loves it.  Suggestions: Use whole oreos to line the sides of the pan, they make an attractive presentation when the springform sides come off.  Also, you can mix the crushed oreos for the bottom with a little melted butter and then freeze the bottom so that nothing moves when you spread the ice cream on. 

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you'd like to start out on supplementation, a good start is cod liver oil caps, flax oil caps, PB-8 (a probiotic), a multi-vitamin, and some kind of green juice blend.  I have this berry flavored green juice stuff from The Vitamin Shoppe (don't think you have those up north, but I can mail it to you).  It looks like nasty pond water but tastes REALLY GOOD!  And got all that good-for-you stuff in it.  I take all this stuff while pregnant, so I'm sure it's fine for nursing.
    You also say you have tough labors.  My midwife lays the pressure on all her moms to drink raspberry leaf tea every day of their pregnancy (about a Q or two).  It strengthens the uterus and helps with labor and delivery (also reduces after pains- calcium supplents also help with that one... Blue Bonnet brand is recommended for calcium... you can buy it online).  You can read about raspberry leaf at the bulk herb store (www.bulkherbstore.com) under the Mother's blend.  I have a raspberry/alfalfa blend right now, but ordered BHS's Mother's Blend.  It has other stuff in there, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mom has made that b4 and its turned out good!!! Yummy but not can beat DQ

    ReplyDelete
  4. hm...i will definately try this. I loove (DQ, especially) ice cream cake and don't eat regular cake (blah)... can't wait to see you this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for posting this- hope it didn't take too much time! 

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to admit~ DQ cakes are yummy. And this recipe sounds a lot like (the one that Abigail wrote about)...the Famous Mihm Ice Cream Cake! Each one of the Mihm kids requests this cake for their birthday, with lots of variations. I have the recipe for the fudge sauce and whipped cream if you're interested! If only I could find the time and energy to make this~ my poor, deprived children are considering a peach or a cup of blueberries dessert these days! (potty-training just takes right over, doesn't it?) :~)

    ReplyDelete
  7. THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU! I have been thinking about making an ice cream cake for Hayla's birthday and I wasn't sure of how to make it. I thought of how I could do it all and it was basically this recipe, just thought up of in my head. I can't believe you knew to post this! LOL. So what did you use in your ice cream cake? What flavor was it? I love ice cream cake and I never had DQ but I did have Cone King, that is what they have in East Aurora. By the way thanks again! YOU ARE AWESOME! God Bless.

    AnDi

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks a lot.  I really needed that. 
    PS:  Do you ever come into my town to the playground or beach?  Guess beach time is almost over but if you come to the playground, let me know -I would love to take my kids there when there is someone else to play with.  (OK so it is also so I have someone to talk to!)  In fact, I am hoping to go Thursday afternoon around 1ish... 

    ReplyDelete
  9. I appreciate all your thoughts and prayers. Don't think I've neglected you on your offer of a phone call. I plan on making it soon. Are you home yet?

    ReplyDelete